Coopers Community

Cider.......and the power of dextrose

AndrewDK

Hi all, in my first thread I mentioned plans to do a cider and some others were interested.

Well it's reached day six in the FV and the gravity reading so far will put the ABV after priming at 6.8%, a fair bit higher then I was expecting. Taste test is sweet and mildly applely with a very dry finish. Of course the flavour could change considerably with conditioning.

I used a Brigalow cider kit from big w around $10 makes 18 litres ( I accidentally did 17) with 1kg of Coopers dex instead of using ordinary sugar (which the can recommended). I think next time I might brew up to 20 litres to bring the alcohol down a tad, and maybe some lactose if the dry finish doesn't subside. Also the brew is looking reasonably clear already.

Was a little surpirsed at how efficiently the dex seemed to ferment out and alcohol content. Don't know if this is maybe more attributable to the yeast or kit though.

Sugar is normally recommended for Cider as it ehhances the cidery flavour (that is why when brewing beer you stay away from it). I have tried various cider kits and all provide that same dry finish. Last cider I made I dropped a 500 grams of Lactose and used BE1 and it came out a lot sweeter which was good as it was brewed for SWMBO and company...

• 4 weeks later...
Also curious how your cider looked at the end?

Mines looks horrible - luckily I am not drinking it and will never buy a brigalow kit again [lol]

imagekbw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mine did not look that thick, how long did you leave it in the FV? Mine was around 8 days and really wish I had left it longer, I reckon 14 days would be the minimum for a good cider. Was around 25 degrees most of the time.

Don't give up on the kit just yet, plenty of people have posted using it and had good results. You've maybe just learnt one way not to make cider. Anyway leave it for a few months it may clear beautifully.

Hi Mags

Mine looks good after 2 days in bottle

I kept it @ 21 deg for 14 days under temp control

ciderq.jpg

What recipe did you use? Defintely a learning curve for me but mines looked similar to yours then one day went that colour. Did yours ever look like mine then change? [pinched]

Archived