Coopers Community

Novice question: yeast and sugars

SeanS4

I have 2 x Coopers DIY kits (new style) with 2 different brews on the go. I tried the forum search function for an answer but too many results...

Brew 1 is Aussie Pale Ale with 1kg BE2, yeast from can, standard recipe. Brew 2 is Unreal Ale with a can of Coopers Real Ale, 1kg BE1, 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt, yeast from can, as per Coopers recipe card from shop. Both brews were mixed and have stayed at 23C for 3 full days.

I'm just looking for a bit of knowledge to help me understand the process. Brew 1 without the LDME has produced a bigger drop in gravity than brew 2 with LDME. In my head, the LDME is extra fuel for the yeast?? If so, why would a brew with less available sugars produce more alcohol over the same time period as a brew with more sugars? 31 v 25 points SG drop in 3 days, identical conditions.

I'm missing something here? Thanks in advance.

Brew 1 without the LDME has produced a bigger drop in gravity than brew 2 with LDME. In my head' date=' the LDME is extra fuel for the yeast?? If so, why would a brew with less available sugars produce more alcohol over the same time period as a brew with more sugars? 31 v 25 points SG drop in 3 days, identical conditions.[/quote']

Well, there are several factors at play here. First of all, because yeast is a living organism, no two fermentation processes are ever identical. Some batches of yeast are healthier than others, so you'll find that the fermentation speed will vary from brew to brew, even if you use the same ingredients.

Second, while DME indeed is fuel for the yeast, it's not completely fermentable. Dextrose, which is the main ingredient in both BE1 and BE2, is a simple sugar that ferments out quickly and completely, leaving pretty much nothing but alcohol behind. DME on the other hand contains complex sugars that won't ferment out completely, giving the brew more body and flavor (as well as color). If I'm not mistaken, a kilo of DME is equivalent to approximately 800 grams of dextrose in terms of fermentability. Consequently, the more DME you use, the higher your FG will be.

Thanks Jimmy... I understand what you are saying and I can already see / taste signs of the body, colour, and flavour. The brew with the added DME is shaping up, even at this early stage, more in line with personal tastes. Cheers.

Jimmy,

I just got my DIY kit for Christmas. I am brewing the lager which comes w/ the kit now. I am about to bottle. The drop in SG was not huge (1036-1013). Do you know ways to increase ABV? does the bottle fermenatation add much alcohol? Should I let it go longer before I bottle it? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Aeskola - More fermentables (sugars, malts) will add more alcohol. You will get an extra 0.5% of alcohol from bottle priming.

As for when to bottle, 2 weeks is a good rule of thumb for ales. This allows 1 week for fermentation and 1 week for the yeast to do a bit of extra "housework" and for the beer to clear up. The "lager" that comes with the kit is actually an ale because an ale yeast is supplied.

BTW - Welcome to the forum [biggrin]

Archived