Coopers Community

New to brewing

DerekM1

Hi guys. I got a home brew kit for Christmas and just bottled my first batch. It was lager and fairly easy. (Hope it tastes alright in a few weeks [biggrin] ). I also got a stout pack and am keen to give stout a try. As a keen Irish Guiness drinker I'd like to get this one right as am planning to get a few brews done in time for Paddys Day in March. Any advice on how to get stout right?

Hello Derek. I'm pretty new at this also, 8 batches in the last 3 months, so I can't give a lot of help, but I can tell you that I was amazed at how much my brews improved with a month to six weeks of aging. I was disappointed in all of them at 2 weeks thinking that they were ready then, but after six weeks there was a huge inprovement.

Also, when making your stout, expect HUGE foam and CO2 amounts for the first 2 or 3 days. You have been warned[lol] I'd suggest a tray under the fermenter just in case, and use the largest fermenter you have. My 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon fermenter just didn't do it. I just bought a 10 gallon fermenter for my next stout.

Good luck!

I reckon the kit was a DIY Kit. If so then there is no need for a larger fermenter. The one in that kit has a krausen collar which is more than enough to provide the extra headspace that might be required.

Tony is the Stout King around these woods Derek. No doubt he'll give you some good advise and maybe a decent recipe.

Personally I have only done a few Stouts with the last one being a toucan I did on New Years Day. Nevertheless, the same concepts are required as to how you did your Lager.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!

I don't particularly like the Irish style of dry stout, its too weak and watery for my taste, and I find stout needs to be around 6%+ to have that stouty stout feeling. To that end, pump the abv with malt (preferably dark) rather than dextrose to add body and consider whether you want any noticeable hop flavour. Ferment it closer to 20 celsius; if its fermented hot you may get some off fruity type flavours. You may also add some desirable flavors with steeping some black patent and crystal malt.

I don't particularly like the Irish style of dry stout' date=' its too weak and watery for my taste, and I find stout needs to be around 6%+ to have that stouty stout feeling. To that end, pump the abv with malt (preferably dark) rather than dextrose to add body and consider whether you want any noticeable hop flavour. Ferment it closer to 20 celsius; if its fermented hot you may get some off fruity type flavours. You may also add some desirable flavors with steeping some black patent and crystal malt. [/quote']

well said... also think of ading some UK hops like fuggles or EKG for a twist, in a stout they can be well hidden but still there [wink]

interesting article on stouts HERE

Yob

Archived