Coopers Community

Using Coopers Aus.Lager yeast at low temp

CharlieE

Hi all,

I've been looking at buying the Coopers DIY kit for my first attempt at brewing, and had thought a lager would be best as the temperature where I live is naturally very cold (The Outer Hebrides islands off the north coast of Scotland).

Our house is a relativly stable 8-10 degrees C, but impossible to keep any warmer than that.

Will I be able to use the yeast provided with the kit or will I have to buy something more suited to lager temp. brewing?

Also, I know at this temperature I will have to ferment for longer. Does anyone have any advice on how long for this kit?

Thanks

well the lager can that comes with the DIY kit has an ale yeast which ferments between 18 to 30 degrees but if you can keep it closer to 20 would be good. Even if need to add warm water prior to pitching yeast to get it 22 degrees or so and wrap a blanket around it or old jackets to keep it warm.

The other option is to purchase a proper lager strain of yeast and ferment around 10 to 15 degrees depending on what strain of yeast you can get

Archived