Coopers Community

fruit salad pale ale test

gadjitsteve

HoHoHO everybody.

About a month ago I did PB2's fruit salad pale ale, one with US05 and one with the Coopers yeast starter. Both made from the same hop tea, coopers pale ale kit and 1kg LDM each.

Fermented at 20C

The Coopers yeast beer turned out best, so much more mellow and "balanced" that yeast is amazing.

The one made with US05 is stonger in the fruity flavours and bitey/bitter at the end, nowhere as balanced as the other one.

I love Coopers, its about all I drink other than my home brew.

Ive done a fair few Coopers yeast starters but recently read that I should be doing 2ltr starters for 23ltrs of wort.

To turn a 6pk of stubbies into a 2ltr starter do I just keep adding 25C sterilized water with 200grams of LDM per 500ml each few days and give it a shake twice a day or so to keep the yeast in suspension and build up to 2ltrs over a week?

Ive only ever added a few tablespoons of LDM to 400mls boiling water, cooled then drunk a sixer and added the bottom slurrey from the stubbies in with the 400ml LDM water into a sterilized fruit juice bottle, (shaken) left for a week then pitched.

Thanks for all your advice so far and Merry Xmas, may Santa bring you lots of unbrewed beer paraphernalia tomorrow.

Cheers Steve

If you want to step up a starter I recommend checking out THIS site and just do the conversions to metric.

If you want to know about yeast then a highly recommend the Yeast book. I have it and it is a great resource. The first chapter or so is pretty boring but the rest of the book is really interesting and a valuable resource.

PS Merry Xmas

Archived