Coopers Community

Tap Water Vs Spring Water

SteveJ2

Can Anyone tell me the benifits of using spring instead of tap water.

I have successfully made great brews with tap water but was told spring water is better.

Currently brewing with spring water to see the difference.

Cheers Steve

Can Anyone tell me the benifits of using spring instead of tap water.

I have successfully made great brews with tap water but was told spring water is better.

Currently brewing with spring water to see the difference.

Cheers Steve

I am in Melbourne and just use tap water, its fine one of the better ones in the country. Where are you situated, whats your water like?

Dont waste money if you have good water supply

G'day I'm just a couple of hours away at Colac,Tap water is very good here but was told to use either distilled or spring by an old brewer i know.Like i said the other brews i have done were all with tap water but just wanted another opinion.

Cheers

I bought 30 litres of Spring water a few years ago and did a brew, i went back to tap water seeing as i couldnt taste any noticeable difference.

If i go up to Mt Donna Buang theres a fresh spring water outlet up there and i will always grab 20litres for a brew. Reminds me i need to take a drive [cool]

[happy] If your worried about Chlorine in the water you can pour it off and leave it exposed to sunlight for about 2 days and it will remove the chlorine' date=' don't ask me how but that's the method recommended for Aquariums.[/quote']

Tap water contains both chlorine and chloramine so pouring it off will release the initial chlorine as gas but the chloramine will break down into new chlorine and ammonia over the course of 10 days.[bandit]

Here in the states,sometimes the water tastes like flat Alka Seltzer. I'll use it in a 2.5 to 3 gallon boil,then top off with spring water. This method always works well. Spring water also has trace minerals the lil yeasties need to be healthy.

Archived