Coopers Community

Extra time in Fermenter - What Temp?

In a previous post Hairy commented that he leaves Ales in the fermenter for two weeks. I also see that Jess left a brew in fermenter for 29 days - however the brew turned out flat.

My Draught has reached an SG of 1.004, only 1 test but must be close to FG. With my first 3 brews I bottled them straight up once FG was reached, however I am back at work tonight and am looking at leaving the brew as is until Monday. It has been fermenting at between 18 and 20'C (room temperature), should I maintain this temperature or let it fall to 16'C for the last 5 days? I am also keen to understand how to determine when to bottle if you leave the brew in the fermenter once FG is reached. Is there a critical point where you risk the brew or risk failure in the carbonation stage? So far I've been thinking "in the bottle is the safest place".

The idea to leave in the FV for a period longer than FG is reached is so the yeast will clean up any off flavors they may have thrown out during the fermentation which makes your beer clearer and taste better. Most brewers I know leave their brew for at least a number of days once FG is reached. However, I was in a situation where for a while I couldn't reach FG without going sub 1000. For some reason I was getting some wild yeast which would continue to ferment my brews.

You will be fine to either leave the brew at the current temp or to let it drop a little, it won't really matter.

Although I do not believe there is a critical point where you risk failure in the carbonation stage, if you leave the brew on the yeast cake for too long then there will be issues with your brew. I know of people who have left theirs for up to 6 weeks without any problems and I know of some who has gone 4 weeks and had issues.

Leaving your brew for a period of time will have no factor on how carbonated your brew will get as carbonation is achieved through secondary fermention not the primary one. (refering to bottles here, not kegs)

If your Draught is at 1004 now and there is nothing wrong with your hydrometer then it should be right to bottle, although it is still best to check tomorrow as well but you really don't want your beer going much lower than that or she'll be pretty dry.

Some brewers fortunate enough to have a brewing fridge would suggest cold crashing the fermenter(at normal refrigerator temperature)for a few days prior to bottling as this will speed up the settling of yeast and other material resulting in a clearer beer.

Cold crashing must not start until fermentation is finished and will not cause issues with carbonation of the bottles.

Ability to cold crash is another good reason to get a dedicated brewing fridge and STC-1000 controller.

Archived