Coopers Community

Halcyon light dry malt extract

scottb12

Hi everyone, a while ago I started a thread on how expensive LDME is in NZ ($10.80 for 500 gm [crying] ). I've found a NZ online store that is selling 1 kg of Halcyon light dry malt extract for $11.95 a kg. On their website they say Halcyon light dry malt extract provides the perfect base for extract brewing or for making yeast starters. Can I use this instead of the expensive stuff I've used in the past?

Cheers

Hi Scott,

We haven't tried Halcyon but We do use generic light dry malt from a couple of suppliers in Melbourne. We can't pick the differance to more expensive branded products.

I don't know how much freight would cost from Melbourne to NZ but it might be worth investigating.

Grain & Grape (Footscray,Melbourne) retail 5kg bags for $45au.

After travelling to NZ I've stopped complaining about price gouging in Australia.

$45 for 5kg is expensive. At Craftbrewer you can buy LDM for $7.90kg, times this by 5 is only $39.50 and it's all packed in 1kg bags already.

$7.50 at my LHBS is cheaper still at $37.50 for 5kg and if you buy some kit cans you get it for another $5 cheaper. I buy it for $125 for 20kg and pack it into 500g ziplock bags which work out cheaper still.

Bill,

Do you get LDM freighted from craftbrewer?

If so, what are the freight charges on a 20 kg bag?

No David. I buy it for $125 for 20kg from my LHBS. This works out at $6.25kg and no need for freight as I pick it up. See link I provided above.

I know freight is usually a reasonable price at Craftbrewer, just give them a call and ask how much. Ross is good to deal with and always happy to accommodate needs if need be. I am sure he will do a good deal for a large quantity too.

I have no idea about freight charges from my LHBS sorry.

Can I use this instead of the expensive stuff I've used in the past?

Whilst I haven't used Halcyon DME, I can say that Halcyon malt is a very nice floor malted barley with a depth of flavour which is great in English Ales and Bitters.

I would definitely sub it for your "regular" DME, especially if t is cheaper.

Thanks for the replies, I've just received an email from the online shop I bought it off and he said it is fine to use with beer kits. If any of you kiwi brewers want some cheap gear go to http://www.brewshop.co.nz/ Their prices for Coopers International Series and Thomas Cooper Selection kits are very cheap compared to other home brew shops.

Archived