Coopers Community

Didn't Strain Hops Question

MikeJ6

Hello everyone..I'm working on my second brew and added pellet hops to my boil..I'm so very new to this..I didn't realize I had to strain the hops when transferring to my fermenter..There's a considerable amount of sediment, most of which appears to be a dusty form of the hops in my fermenter. Is this going to be a problem, or will it settle out over the next few weeks in the fermenter? Thanks a lot.

whist I always advocate Bulk Priming and racking, if you dont have the inclination or equipment I think you will be fine, most of it will settle to the bottom as you have noticed already, when the yeast finish the job they will settle down on the top of the hop debris and keep them at the bottom.

I wouldnt worry too much

Yob

As Yob said... nothing to worry about.

It may not be the clearest of beers but don't worry about this either as it will still taste the same. If you are able to crash chill when it's finished fermenting it should help just a little.

Be prepared to spend more time than usual when bottling as it will likely get clogged and give you the Tom Tits a bit. Nevertheless, a lesson to be learned for next time.

I usually use hop sacks for pellets,& grain bags for whole leaf or "raw" hops to contain the debris. Bu when I brewed my 1st shot at a Burton Ale last Sunday,I used all whole leaf hops loose in the kettle.

Bad move. Even though I did use a fine mesh strainer going into the FV,the whole leaf hops clogged/filled that up pretty quick. Had to use my paddle to squeeze some wort out of the mess in the strainer.

Guess I'll be buying more muslin grain sacks for the whole leaf hops. They take up way more space than pellet hops,& soak up more liquid.

It is being found that pellets are better for getting more bitterness,& whole leaf is better for more flavor than bittering given the same amount of time. As far as home brewing is concerned. My LHBS just started carrying raw (whole leaf) hops from Hop Union this harvest as well! So my Burton ale got hops as fresh as we'll get at our level of the brewing world,short of growin your own...[roll] [biggrin]

Archived