Coopers Community

New Refractometer: Trial

TonyW

My new Refractometer was put to its 1st test today on my Apple Blueberry cider i threw together.

1: Using water i know is 1.000 i put a few drops on the instrument waited 30seconds and did a minor adjustment to calibrate the unit, at the same time i adjusted the focus. Everything is as clear as a bell and easy to read.

2: Took a sample from the juice and it read in the refractometer 1.042 before pitching the yeast, it took me less than 5 seconds to read it. Took a sample to the test tube and used my hydrometer waiting for it to clear enough to read, spin some bubbles out of it take a second reading, squint hard and i get a reading of ta dah 1.042 [roll].

+ for the refractometer very easy to read and accurate and very quick and clear and only takes 3 drops

+ for my hydrometer, as per usual the old girl is accurate takes alot longer to read and can be hard to read in dark beverages. Also takes alot more of the brew but the + side is you get to taste it [devil]

All in all i am glad i have the refractometer and i am sure it will a regular part of my kit.

Next test: tomorrow i will take a reading on my Strong Vintage Ale do the calculations and see where were at doing FG's

I took a refractometer reading today day 6, on my Extra Strong Vintage Ale and it was 7 brix or 1.030 approx. After doing calculations it came in at about 1.009+, my hydrometer read 1.010 as best i could tell on a 16C sample, its hard to read single points on the hydrometer but its near enough. The vision in the refractometer was still crystal clear no problem at all. Alc approx 7% by volume.

The vision in the refractometer was still crystal clear no problem at all.

Rightyo time to see the optometrist again methinks. Then again maybe I was tasting too many samples when I read mine.

I am ploughing through a 6 pack of Original Pale Ale so i can do a commercial yeast, ahhh times are tough [roll]

Just make sure the viewing lens has not got some smear over it, it can really effect my cameras, i expect the same with the frac

I used the 6 stubbies made it up to 900ml and 6 tbs Dextrose. I have it in a litre bottle with an airlock on it, for no other reason than i can see its active. Still a bit cold here so i will put it on the heat pad in a dark cupboard for the week then it will go into my Extra Strong Stout i am plotting at the moment.

Archived