Coopers Community

Fresh vs. Dry

Canadian Eh!L

Hey guys,

I'm looking to make extract Harvest ale with freshly collected hops flowers. What i'm wondering is... How much fresh hops flowers to use in comparison dry flowers.

And...

I've collected flowers from two different bines in my neighborhood, one is much more aromatic that the other. I am thinking I'll use the less fragrant flowers for bittering and of course the more aromatic as the late additions. By the way, I have no idea what vartieties of hops these might be.

Any thoughts?

General rule of thumb is 20% more by weight more than pellet (I think from memory) as it's practicaly impossible to know your AA% (which can vary from year to year depending on season, soil, etc etc) its a bit of trial and error. Best bet really is to do a smaller trial batch of say 10lt and then scale up from there. Most advice is to continue with pellet for bittering and have at it for flavour and aroma additions with the homegrown Hops.

Yob

OT sorry, but I am curious how your hop garden is going Yob?...

I'd like to put one in sometime but really don't have the time atm

(OT Sorry 2)ferkin fantastic mate, Tett about 3 inches high and starting to spiral, 2 others poking through and the other 1 is nearly at the surface... I know this coz I uncovered it to see what the hell was going on... Ive also got another rhizome coming (Cascade) so that will make 5 being

Goldings x 1

Chinook x 2

Tettnanger x 1

Cascade x 1

Im running out of backyard [crying] [lol]

I envy a nice hop garden. I have 1000m2 of yard but just do not have the time to do one and the yard is really for the kids as they get older.

Maybe in time I will sort things out and travel the path of the green thumb.

Good job mate. I'm looking forward to some pics when the time comes :)[love]

Hey guys,

I'm looking to make extract Harvest ale with freshly collected hops flowers. What i'm wondering is... How much fresh hops flowers to use in comparison dry flowers.

And...

I've collected flowers from two different bines in my neighborhood, one is much more aromatic that the other. I am thinking I'll use the less fragrant flowers for bittering and of course the more aromatic as the late additions. By the way, I have no idea what vartieties of hops these might be.

Any thoughts?

I think they work on the pellet weight requirement x 6 for fresh un-dried hops

Archived