Coopers Community

Old can of extract

LukeQ

Hey good people,

I've brewed now for quite some time starting with a coopers kit in 1997. I know live in California with wifey and kid. My kind father in law sourced a coopers kit that has a lager can in it dated best before november 2008. Anyone have any information on how it might perform/kill me if I use it?

Cheers

Q

Hi Luke and welcome to the forum.

The experience I have had with old and out dated cans are:

they come out darker than they would if they were in date also I personally think they end up with a weird flavor too them that is not quite right. I have done 3 now and all with the same result.

I have one more out of date can left so I will be using that to make starters. Not going to chance the time and effort anymore for crap brews. It has been said that there is an ocassional one that might be ok but personally I just wouldn't bother anymore.

If you got it for nothing then you have nothing to lose by using it as a starter or throwing it out.

FRESH IS BEST

Also if the can is that far out of date but you want to give it a go anyway, I would definitely ditch the yeast and get yourself another. The yeast will not be as viable being so old and may stress out trying to multiply enough for your brew.

Archived