Coopers Community

Ball Lock v. Pin Lock Kegs

David B5

Good evening everyone.

Our internal productivity commission (me) and the minister for finance (her) have decided to step into the world of kegging.

One question we have for you all is what are the advantages and disadvantages of pin lock and ball lock setups?

Ball lock kegs are more common, new and old, whilst the pin lock kegs are usually a little cheaper it will depend how far you want to take it in the future.

Pin lock kegs are a PITA with regards to the PRV as there usually isn't a manual one so purging is a little more difficult, even though can be overcome by depressing the poppit valve on the gas out tube but still a PITA.

Parts for ball lock connections are more common than pin lock.

I haven't seen any 9L pin lock kegs if you are after a smaller keg for parties etc.

The kegs are different sizes so this may create a space issue in the freezer or fridge. Pin locks are slightly smaller and fatter.

Ball lock disconnects won't 'slip' off if not attached correctly.

Even though Pin lock kegs are slightly cheaper if you look around you can source just as cheap ball lock kegs. I can send you a list of cheap suppliers who ship Australia wide if you want.

I personally rather, and have got, the ball lock kegs for all of the above reasons and probably will never touch a pin lock.

welcome to the world of kegging. You will find things so much easier when it comes to bottling now. Not only this but once your brew is finished you can be drinking it within 24 hours if you want [w00t]

Archived