Coopers Community

Falling Clear

ozale

I have read the term "falling clear" on the net a few times now with regard to coopers kits. In the fv the wort will eventually clear. I have a real ale at 1010 at the moment but it's still very cloudy should I wait for it to clear before bottling.

How long has it been in the fermentor?

I personally follow the 2 week ale method and allow 1 week for fermenting and 1 week for clearing and for the yeast to clean up any off flavours (This is a general rule of thumb and of course there are variables that come into play). Of course if you bottle as soon as it reaches FG and adequately bottle age your beer it clear up in the bottle but I generally like to leave as much sediment as possible in the fermentor. To further lear my beers I also tend to crash chill the fermentor for the last few days before bottling.

Hi Muddy thanks for that, it's been in the fv 11 days so I will be patient and see how it goes. Do you find the 2 week rule works for all ale's, I brew a lot of coopers pale ale and am tweaking / experimenting with adjuncts

Yep I find it works for most ales but I should note that I use a temp controlled brewing fridge so temp fluctuations aren't an issue for me - I tend to check the gravity after about 7 days and make sure the yeast has done it's job (If not - Plan B comes into effect [biggrin] ). It also improves the flavour of your beer.

Of course you still have to trust your hydrometer [rightful]

For lagers (which I rarely brew) I tend to wait 3 weeks before bottling.

Thanks again Muddy, I have a big fridge fit 2 fv's inside but it's not powerable so I need to check temps regularly. my next step is good temp regulation, do you find that is the key to consistency of brew's?

Archived