Coopers Community

Bulk Priming Problem

PeterB29

I have changed from drops to bulk priming for the last few batches I have done (because I use a range of bottle sizes). I put the cooled, boiled dex solution into a spare fermenter, and use a hose to rack the beer onto this. I arrange the tubing in a coil to swirl the beer and mix with the sugar.

Some bottles are overcarbed, but most are undercarbed, and far too flat.

On my last bottling I realised that the half litre or so sitting below the tap, that is hard to get into the bottle (and usually goes down the sink), was mega sweet. So all the priming solution is sitting at the bottom of the fermenter, and not being mixed ver well. Most of the priming sugar then gets thrown away.

Question is how best to mix this in without introducing oxygen.

Is it best to gently stir, and if so for how long? How to limit oxygen uptake when stirring? Or is it just best to leave if to disperse for an hour?

I use same method as Muddy and for the first time a couple of days ago i noticed about a teaspoon full of gunk in the middle of the bottom of the container when I had finished bottling every last drop.

Immediate thought was s*#t the dextrose was not dissolved and mixed evenly. Then I calmed down and thought the dextrose was mixed in a cup of boiling water and boiled for a little and it must not have come out of solution. Then I think the penny dropped and it must have been a bit of the yeast cake that was drained from the primary to the priming tub as I fought for the last ml of beer. I do not rely on just the flow to mix and use my stirrer to just get a whirlpool going while it finishes transfering taking care not to aerate the beer. I think the whirlpool put the bit of gunk in the centre of the FV. I have never had a problem with this method and all my bottles are evenly carbed.

Tap to tap is perfect. I've never had a flat OR overly carbonated beer. It does amaze me how much you lose from the initial mix through sedimentation on the bottom of the initial fermenter though. But then that is the crud you don't want. Bulk priming is King.

I took an ale pale that's shorter & a bit wider than,say,the Brewer's Best ones & made my own bottling bucket. I bought an Italian spigot from the LHBS that's got a spout the right size to fit a 3/8" (9.525mm)tube. The bottom of the hole I cut for the spigot is about 3/4-1" off the bottom. (no more than about 25mm off the bottom) When I rack from primary to the bottling bucket,I start the flow,then ease the priming solution into the incoming stream of beer at the surface.

That way,I lessen the risk of o2 getting in it. Then,when it's done racking,I give it about 12 gentle stirs to make sure it's mixed.

And since the spigot is so close to the bottom,I can get all but a couple of TBSP's out while bottling. And since it's off the trub from primary,it stays quite clear.

By the way,I have my new video series up on youtube. you might be able to see it on there. Look for "unionrdr's channel",or unionrdr,brewvision,beer,or other similar key words. I call them "brewvision".

Archived