Coopers Community

Harvested Coopers Commercial Yeast

Matty A

Hi Guys,

Just looking on your thoughts about the harvested yeast.

I plan on growing a culture up and splitting it a couple of times and then continue growing it so I have a large supply of this yeast. I plan on stepping it up a few times and washing it and then storing it in baby food jars in the fridge,

Question 1 - would the baby food jars be good enough to keep the yeast in

Question 2 - how long would the yeast last in the fridge after it is washed.

Hey Matty,

I have washed yeast before and I bottle it in crown seal stubbies[biggrin]and it is still good after three months or more! Just be sure to make a starter when you want to use it again cheers

P.S I have used Coopers yeast out of a Pale Ale and followed the directions on this site and it worked out really well[joyful]

I have reused the Commercial yeast alot of times but I have never tried storing it.

How much would I need per brew?

If you need to store longer term then freeze some vials and just step them up when you need them. It is not less work than bottle harvesting but it will save you buying a bottle of Pale Ale.

I have pitched a 2 litre starter with success on more than one occasion although I suspect it is a little over-pitching.

I finally found a place over here to buy cooper's ales. It's called The Wine Room,& had the sparkling ale. I saved the yeast from all 6 bottles.

I'll have to make a starter for a few days I guess to get enough to brew with. I was thinking of using some half pint jelly canning jars we have around to put it in.

Archived