Coopers Community

Canadian Blonde Question?

MarkT10

Hello all,

Was looking for some feedback on the brew I started in the FV this afternoon. Its the Dog days of Summer here in North Florida USA and I wanted to put down a nice clean refreshing easy drinker to finish out the summer, but one that still has a little bit of character and depth. Will this turn out like I want:

1.7kg Coopers Canadian Blonde

1.5kg Can Coopers Light LME

300g Coopers Dextrose

(2) 7g sachets of Coopers Ale yeast

23L at 24C

OG 1045

Dry hop for 4 days with .5g Mt.Hood hop pellets in mesh bag after fermentation is complete. Did this with the OS Lager I brewed with some Goldings hops and it did wonders for the aroma and finish and am hoping for the same here.

Will probably give it a total of 10-12 days in the fermenter before bottling. Feedback please.

Thanks Mark T.

YOB,

Have had success with several Ale Yeasts at higher temps, especially the Coopers. I know it should be closer to 20-21, but with no beer fridge at my disposal and the outside temps in the 35-38C range this summer here in North Florida this year its not practical to maintain those temps in the house.

As far as the Mt. Hood the AA% is 3.6, mainly for light aroma for me as I am not a huge hoppy beer fan. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

coopers yeast can be a bit forgiving of temps, however will need tobe left a bit longer at FG to clean up, you could always fill the laundry tub with water and put the FV in there with some ice bottles, it's mostly in the first few days of ferment that this is important as this is when the precursors are made, having a slightly higher temp toward the end of ferment is actually a good thing and help the yeast stay awake enough to go and eat up the nasty byproducts.

At 3.6% it's a fairly low AA and I would still up it by 5g for a light flavouring, keep in mind that the longer it is stored the more those flavours will mellow, and while your 5g's may be what you like in 6 weeks it will not be the same at 12.

Ive now raised my bar somewhat with regard to hops, my last one, an English Bitter had 10g of EKG and 10g Fuggles as a 'hop tea' at the begining and then a further 10g of each dry hopped at 3 days.... mmmmm hops[w00t]

Yob

The % of AA doesn't matter when hopping for Aroma, such as in dry hopping.

The level of Alpha Acids indicate the Bittering potential of a particular hop.

Lower AA% hops, generally, are referred to as Aromatic Hops as opposed to Bittering hops which are high in AA and therefore more economical for bittering wort.

Dual-purpose hops have medium levels of AA together with desirable aroma properties.

.5g should read as ".5 oz" half an ounce...sorry about that.

Also my typical brew temps have run 23-25C range and active fermentation is usually done in 3-4 days but I use 10 days as my rule of thumb for FG.

Archived