Coopers Community

Question

BjarkeH

erm... you get two readings?

The first one you should take is before you add the yeast (OG Reading), the second about 3-4 days later (SG Reading). Third reading at about a week, and then about 3-4 days after that to make sure it's finished (FG Reading).

These readings are just a way of confirming that ferment has started and finished, no need to take them all the time.

Yob

Unless I think fermentation has stalled, I only take an OG before pitching yeast then about 8 days later I'll take another reading then again 24 hours after in hope for a FG. Unless there are fermenting problems I really can't see why any more readings are required.

There is sound thoury behind taking regular readings to know how the yeast are performing, more important with re-use of yeast than pitching dry IMO

Theory being that if your yeast has a known performane with temps x SG reading x Days in FV you can get a 'feel' for how thay are doing. Some people (myself included) like to know these stats as it can help with future brews with the same yeast.

Without a refractometer though it must be said that the amount of beer needed to take "samples" for this is huge and not reccomended. This is why I settle on about 4 readings or so per brew, cross referenced with date and temps, this gives a "scale" of how the yeast perform.

ie: If I have data that says a particular yeast ate it's way though 20 points in 3 days and the next time I use it it only gets through 15 (in the same time at the same temps and same sort of brew) then I will know that yeast is getting a little tired and it may be time to put them out to pasture (compost) at the end of the brew.

er... hope I explained that clearly..

Yob

Since I've been using cooper's OS cans as a base with 3lb bags of plain DME & various hops,I wait till 2 week mark to take a 1st FG reading. This after an OG reading of course.

Then,if it's close to projected FG,I'll wait 3-5 days,& take another. If it's the same or down a point or so to projected FG,I'll dry hop a week,or bottle.

But with a standard cooper's kit package,as my English bitter,it hit FG in 12 days. Gotta check it tomorrow,& if it looks solid,it gets bottled.

Archived