Coopers Community

Time to start planning a PUMPKIN BREW...Suggestions?

MattC10

Well, it is mid-summer here in New York...It is amazing (and alarming) how the days pass! Before it gets too late, I'd like to start planning some fall brews \u2013 particularly PUMPKIN brews \u2013 that I can enjoy during the onset of my favorite season, Autumn! I figure that I should have a recipe and be ready to brew by the end of August early September the latest! Does anybody have any pumpkin recipes that they would like to share?

I found this for you, a bit more info on your method? AG? Extract?

Rose Mountain Pumpkin Ale

Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

Recipe Specs

----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.0

Total Grain (kg): 7.900

Total Hops (g): 52.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (\xb0P): 12.9

Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (\xb0P): 2.3

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.62 %

Colour (SRM): 6.8 (EBC): 13.4

Bitterness (IBU): 25.8 (Average)

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 52

Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

----------------

4.000 kg Pilsner (50.63%)

1.100 kg Crystal 10 (13.92%)

0.900 kg Roast pumpkin puree (11.39%)

0.800 kg Wheat Malt (10.13%)

0.600 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (7.59%)

0.500 kg Honey (6.33%)

Hop Bill

----------------

14.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

10.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

14.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

14.0 g Fuggles Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

Misc Bill

----------------

7.0 g AllSpice @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

2.0 g Cinnamon @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

14.0 g Indian Coriander Seed (ground) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

2.0 g nutmeg @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

2.0 g pumpkin pie spice @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

14.0 g Indian Coriander Seed (whole) @ 0 Days (Secondary)

40.0 g Light Dry Malt Extract @ 0 Minutes (Bottling)

500.0 g Roast pumpkin puree @ 0 Minutes (Bottling)

Single step Infusion at 66\xb0C for 90 Minutes.

Fermented at 21\xb0C with Safale US-05

Notes

----------------

Kent (Jap) pumpkin used for roast pumpkin puree.

Roast pumpkin process:

Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out all the seeds. Roast pulp side down on a non-greased pan (a sheet of foil is helpful here) for 2 hours @ 150C, until the pumpkin is noticably slumping.

Allow to cool, then scoop out the pulp and add to the mash. Put some extra pulp in a freezer bag and freeze until bottling time.

For priming: Defrost and boil saved pulp, with a few cups of water and any required LDME. Use a stick blender to reduce the pumpkin fibres. Allow to cool and add to bottling header.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

taken from HERE

Yob

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry for delay in thanking you for your response! We had a severe hurricane here and I'm still cleaning up from it... finally able to get back to normal routines now. To give you a little more info about me: I am brewing using extracts primarily (someday hope to expand to grain) so right now I am looking mainly for ways to supplement or expand on extract kits. I have always wanted to do a pumpkin brew and appreciate your suggestions!

Hi, sorry for delay in thanking you for your response! We had a severe hurricane here and I'm still cleaning up from it... finally able to get back to normal routines now. To give you a little more info about me: I am brewing using extracts primarily (someday hope to expand to grain) so right now I am looking mainly for ways to supplement or expand on extract kits. I have always wanted to do a pumpkin brew and appreciate your suggestions!

An old recipe I dug up for the a thanksgiving brew, we don't celebrate it down here but I have American friends living here.

3 Kg (2x1.5 kg tins) Coopers Light LME

1 Kg Pale Crystal

1/2 Kg Wheat DME

1 Kg Cooper's BE2 or 1 Kg Light DME + 1/4 Kg Maltodextrine or 1 Kg Honey (mild) + 1/4 Kg Maltodextrine (all three versions are good, I prefer the honey)

2 Kg Pumpkin - small ones with flavour are the best, also Butternut are good

Cut in half and bake flesh side down on a sheet of aluminium foil in a 150 C oven - NO OIL - for 1-2 hours until they start to sag, become soft and you have some nice caramelisation on the bottom. Scoop out the flesh (when cool!) and steep it with the crystal grain @ 60-70C for at least 60 min.

Brew as you would any extract plus grain. Add ground spice at the end of the boil using spices you would bake a pumpkin pie with.

eg ground nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon, all spice, if using cloves, be VERY light

Hop with any bittering hop for bitterness of 25-30 IBU and add a spicy hop eg Hallertauer, Liberty, Horizon 10 min before the end of the boil.

Use fresh ground spice and don't boil for long - if at all; you will drive of a lot of aroma.

US-05 or any neutral American or English Ale yeast

The pumpkin adds about 1.005 points.

Archived