Coopers Community

Crazy?... Perhaps?!

Robbo

I was making a wholesome mug of Milo this morning and noticed the ingredients on the side of the tin... The main ingredient is malted barley, along with milk solids, sugar, cocoa powder, vitamins...etc.

Has anyone ever been brave (or foolish enough) to chucked a tin of Milo into a brew? How would it turn out I wonder? I can't identify anything that looks like a preservative that could kill off the yeast in the ingredients. I'm thinking you'd use it in a stout or dark ale due to the cocoa and milk.

Would love to hear your opinions...

mad as a hatter.. why not maltesers too? Im pretty sur that these products have little fermentability and the other stuff in there have been processed to an inch of their former selves...

interested to hear how a kit and kilo of milo + 500g matlesers turns out though[lol]

I would say crazy!! I wouldn't want to put powdered milk into my morning coffee let alone my beer! [sick] Personally I would stick to just adding malt extract, in saying that the world would be a boring place if people had never experimented. If you want to try it maybe take some unfermented wort from your next brew and ferment it separately so you don't waste an entire brew if it goes pear shaped. [cool] Let us know how it does go if you do try it!

I was just thinking that maybe the milk solids would curdle,like during the hot break when proteins clump & settle. And since the Wei (liquid part of milk) is absent in powdered milk,no worries there.

Not sure if it'd make the brew cloudy or not. Powdered cocoa's tend to make a slurried mess,do some research on how it's typically used.

Archived