Coopers Community

Jazzing up the Irish Stout

Biermoasta

So I received my Irish Stout kit in the mail today. I'm going to make it this weekend using a can (1.5kg) of Light Malt Extract. I've got some roasted barley sitting around which I would like to use. I was thinking maybe steep about 80g of it to give a nice roastyness, but nothing over the top?

Does 80g sound like too much, too little, or about right?

About 200g would give a nice roasty taste. Obviously I have no idea what you really like and you haven't provided the recipe so maybe best to go with your original thoughts then adjust it to suit your tastes next time.

Just though I would post an update. So I ended up making this stout on saturday to this recipe:

1.7kg Coopers Irish Stout

1.5kg Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract

80g Roasted barley (steeped)

to 23 litres and used the kit yeast

Today I took a hydrometer sample, and ohh this stout tastes soo good already! [love] I just want to drink it directly from the fermenter! I'm pretty sure that once this brew is bottled it wont last long...[joyful]

Sounds like you've got a nice one there, send me one :)

An odd thing happened with my last stout, it got carbonated in such a way that it's impossible to pour!

I get a half a cm of beer and a tall glass of very solid foam. Tastey foam, but still a LOT more foam than beer [pinched]

I primed them in the bottle with plain sucrose, 3/4 of a teaspoon (about 3.7cc) per 12oz longneck. IDK, maybe I should prime with dex?

The same happened to one of my beers, I think it must have been bottled too early (ie, not finished fermenting). I found that I can just place the bottles in the freezer and make them really cold then I can pour them without (or with minimal) head, then just allow it to warm up to drinking temperature in the glass.[cool]

Interesting, I think I'll try that this evening.

Possibly it wasn't quite finished, but it was in the fermenter for 3 weeks. I didn't track the gravity at the end as I should have, but maybe that was it.

The basic recipe was all dark malt, half liquid, half dry. About 1.2kg total in 8.5 liters (a small experimental batch)

Maybe some dex or light malt would have reduced it some? IDK

Archived