Coopers Community

Brupaks Premium Grade Malt Extracts Pale - 23kg

craigb12

Has anyone seen/used this before?

http://www.goodlifehomebrew.com/brupaks-premium-grade-malt-extracts-pale-23kg.php

I figured that it would be, more or less, the same stuff that you get in hopped can, just without the hops. I'm really interested in trying it out; it does seem really cheap. I figured that i'd just mix it the same way you would a normal can of extract, then dry hop it at the start of fermentation then once again after it is over?

Any thoughts?

I am not sure about this particular brand but you may need to do the bittering etc. Coopers Extracts are nice and are a bit cheaper too. I suggest if you are going to start extracts then give Coopers a go.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation etc rah rah rah, just like to advise a good product when I see one for a reasonable price.

For me, this stuff's a lot cheaper to buy than coopers, but i think ill give coopers a go first (as a test run)

I know that you're supposed to steep speciality grains, then add the extract, and bittering hops and boil etc... but i was wondering what would happen if you just treated it like a normal can of coopers hopped extract, but dry hopped it through the whole fermentation to add bitterness, then maybe added a little more hops after fermentation for aromatics.

Is this just a stupid experiment, or d'you think it's worth a try?

From what I can see I think it is liquid extract?? If so it has a limited shelf life and will darken with age, 25kg is a fair amount of extract to use in a limited time frame, IMO. Dried malt extract has a much longer shelf life.

I don't quite understand the idea in your post ^ but I don't think it would work. Dry hopping only adds aroma (maybe a little flavour also?), but the only way of adding bitterness is by doing a boil. Doing your method (if I understood it correctly) would result in a very aromatic, VERY sweet tasting 'beer'. [crying]

I've never done a full extract brew but from what I have read and seen, it is not hard to do boil some hops for bitterness, I say just give it a try! [lol]

As Biermoasta said, you won't get bitterness by dry hopping, you need to boil the hops to achieve this. The longer the boil the more bitter it becomes. Dry hopping is mainly for aroma.

Edit: I would be pretty certain to expect a strong grassy flavor if you were to throw hops throughout the primary.

Archived