Coopers Community

Necessary to remove krausen kollar?

Pistnbroke

Gday

Bought myself a DIY brew kit the other week, and have started my very first attempt at brewing my own using the coopers lager that was included. Is it necessary to remove the kollar, or can I leave it in? I am thinking it would be best to leave it in place until bottling to reduce exposure to the air. Also, I started brewing at 24 degrees, but due to temperature here, it has dropped to 22 over the last 3 days. I have wrapped a towel around it in an attempt to keep it stable, will the shift in temperature have an adverse affect?

I remove the kr\xe4usen kollar as soon as the kr\xe4usen has fallen. This allows the bits of foam caked on the kollar to be easily removed when cleaning as it is still soft, and can just be wiped off. [joyful]

As for temperature 22C is better than 24C. Try and keep your next brew as close to 21C as you can to reduce off flavours, producing a cleaner tasting beer. [lol]

Lift the entire krausen kollar and lid off - unklip the lid and replace it on the fermenter straight away. Then klean the krausen kollar.

After cleaning I usually upend it and place it on top of the fermenter. Otherwise SWMBO will make mention of how my brewing stuff is spread all over the place.

I leave mine in place and clean everything at once when finished. The krausen collar gets the nappy san treatment along with everything else. I haven't had a problem with it yet and it saves storing it somewhere until you use it next time.

6 to one, half a dozen the other. Leave it on, take it off... tomato, tomato it really doesn't matter provided that if you remove it do it before fermentation has finished. This will allow more Co2 to develope on top of the brew shielding it from O2.

Thanks for your help fellas, much appreciated. I will keep the temperature in mind next time I have a crack at it. So far, so good, the top looks clean (no signs of infection) so all is going well for my first attempt so far!

I think it is well before the end of fermentation, today is day 3, and all the foam has only just subsided, so i reckon at least another 4-5 days to go yet.

I ended up removing the collar, and it was very easy to clean, and also left the FV with very clean walls. Temp has stabilised at 22C so far. Perhaps next time round i may try a little lower at the start. I dont really have access to a fridge that will fit the FV in, so it may be difficult to go any lower than 22C until winter is here.

Archived