Coopers Community

Original series Lager

George J

Just put down an original series lager last weekend.

Unfortunately, the temperature here has dropped and the brew has been ranging between 12 and 18 degrees since Monday.

I do not have a brewing fridge or heat pad, and am not in a position to invest in one yet. SWMBO will hit the roof if I spend any more funds on brewing! [lol]

From what I have read on the forum, I understand that the cooper's yeast supplied with the kit is probably a blend of lager and ale yeasts. am I correct? if there is a lager yeast in there, then i probably don't have to worry about the temp dropping below 18, right?

I also have another Lager brewing in the same shed with a Saflager S-23 and that one is bubbling along happily..

yep, it is wrapped in a blanket and that is maintaining the temp for the past 2 days at about 16 degrees.

i'm heading out of town for the easter weekend and the weather is expected to get colder so I am concerned about it because I will not be around to keep an eye on it.

Will take a hydro reading tonight to see if there is any change and report back.

I normally wrap the fermenter with a electric blanket when it gets too cold. Once fermentation kicks off I turn off the blanket but leave it wrap. And give it a boost each day for one hour. Only have issues with low temps in Auckland in mid winter.

Electric Blankets are a bit of a fire trap Brian - I'd be cautious using that method [rightful]

George you could just build a simple insulated box and use a reptile heater, heat belt or pad, or hot water bottles to heat the box. Cheap and cheerful [biggrin]

hahahah.. so true Anthony. but when have you experienced logic when trying to compare shoe shopping to anything else with women! just the other day she sorted her shoe cupboard. i dont think i have owned that many shoes in all my 30 years of life!![pinched]

i'm scared to use an electric blanket for the same reason as Muddy says.. my brewing is done on a wooden bench in a wooden garage where I stock my firewood! [lol] for now I have used my old motorcycle jacket's inner to wrap the fermenter. those inners are really warm.

the insulated box is an idea.. or maybe I could use an old chilly bin if the size is right. might do that once I am back home on Monday. thanks for the idea Muddy!

Checked the SG last night and it is at 1013 @ 16 degrees. I have got the same reading for 3 days now at the same temp.

So, I moved the fermenter into the dining room since that is the warmest room in the house. This morning the temp is up to 18 degrees. I might leave it inside for another week before bottling.

Or do you guys suggest racking to secondary today and leaving it for a week? (i prefer bottling from primary but if someone can advise why secondary would be better, I am willing to give it a go. The samples for testing are quite cloudy so I am sure there is still quite a bit if yeast in suspension.

Ta, Muddy. I was hoping you'd say that. I don't want to go through the added stress of racking it.. too lazy, u know? [lol]

Btw, I tasted one of my Irish stouts last night.. bee-u-t-ful! still not exactly like Guiness, but getting there. also too much carbonation. I should have used 1 carb drop in each bottle instead of 2 drops.

Also, how long would SafLager S-23 take to ferment at about 16 degrees? its been 14 days since pitching, SG is 1010 and extremely cloudy samples.

Archived