Coopers Community

Best darker kit adding only dextrose?

donp1

Was given 7KG of dextrose so using only dextrose am wondering which darker colored cans work best in your experiences/results? Dark Ale, English Bitter, Original Series Stout would be the first choices probably with 1KG dextrose:

Maybe reduce the volume from 23L although that will increase the flavor and bitterness levels? Only dextrose should make a drier, thinner brew. Any hints or tips?

I strongly suggest using dextrose to make up a maximum of 20% (or even better 10% [rightful] ) of your fermentables Don. Use malt to make up the rest of your gravity. I know you want to get rid of the dextrose but it wont make a great beer when overused (IMO [biggrin] ).

Sorry, I haven't really answered your question but thought it was worth putting out there.

while I agree with Muddy on generally keeping dex low, I have made a great dark ale and an unreal ale using 1kg of dex + 500gms of LDM made to 23L. You could use Dark Dry Malt to make it even darker(better)!

If you just want to use the dex the dark ale will work well, it will, generally, just take longer in the bottle before you drink it and say "Wow, what a great beer!"

Archived