Coopers Community

Another Frday night 1/2 Dozen

TonyW

Here we go its Friday night 6 pack taste test night or my quest to find beers to brew or try and replicate

Being the Australia day weekend i thought i would go the all Aussie route.

1st up i have a Mildura Brewery "Mallee Bull Strong Ale"

I love Strong beer and this one hits the scales at 5.6% so it not real strong in the ABV department. It certainly has a strong character and plenty of flavour. Amber in colour nice head and the taste? well its pretty good. Hops wise i thought Fuggles/ Goldings and i was correct but there was obviously more and found there to be Goldings/Fuggles and also English Challenger a nice combination indeed for a heavy ale that doesnt come across too bitter. Found out the malts used are

Malt:UK Maris Otter, Crystal & Chocolate Malts, Golden Naked Oats

Going to give this a 3.75 out of 5 would definately drink this again. Its going on my try to replicate list

2nd up is Matilda Bay Dog Bolter ABV 5.25%

I like this Munich style dark lager and the malt is blended just right for all sorts of tastes from caramel to coffee to chocolate. Hops i couldnt pick them but have since found out they are Hersbrucker.

Malts are Pale, Crystal, Wheat, Chocolate Malt and Chocolate Wheat.

I could go a few rounds with this Garage reserve and have since found out there Brewhouse is close to me so may be worth a visit.

The malts alone give this a 3.75

Going into my recipes folder.

3: Red Oak Organic Pale

not going to rave about this it tastes sour and green 4.6%ABV

Never again i dont like it at all, drinkable but not for my taste.

1 out of 5 for me.

Archived