Coopers Community

To Fuggle or not...

RoyG

Hi all, am going to make the Vintage ale and was wondering if it would be alright to substitute the Nelson Sauvin hops for Fuggles? Not real sure about the variations in hop flavours yet. Cheers. Roy[biggrin] Just saw another post about this brew mentioning different hops but didnt mention Fuggles.

The recipe says:

You may like to add a small amount of specialty grain and dry hop with your favourite variety (fuggles, saaz, hallertau, hersbrucker, cascade, perle and magnum were used in previous vintages).

So yes, I guess it would be fine! [cool]

Coopers have used different hops in the XSVA over the years. I didn't have NS hops at hand when I made it, and used EK Goldings (which is mentioned as a substitute for fuggles, and vice versa).

So mate, if thats what you have, use it, try and record how it goes for the next Joe Blow (and yourself).

I have since sourced some NS[love] hops and will definitely be making a batch of the XSVA with it. The strong flavours of the XSVA will go great with the NS (a big tick to the tasters at 'the brewery'!)!

Thanks Trusty. Am planning to let sit in bottle's for at least 6 months before tasting but all good plans usually fail[biggrin] . Will let everyone know how it turns out.[cool]

Thats what I was hoping Muddy. Was planning a long bottling period so should be good. Am doing a SMOTY next as well so was going to put that one aside as well. Here's hoping.[biggrin]

Archived