Coopers Community

Priming sugar for secondary fermentation.

Damo

Hi All, Does it make a difference to the taste of your brew if you vary the variety of sugar used when priming white/raw etc ?

I'm finding personally that raw sugar (tip an experienced stout brewer gave me) tastes a little better in real ale than carbonation drops.

However the cbn drops make the "lawn mower lager brews" taste great.

I have recently bottled a cerveza & used cbn drops (advice in the kit) but are yet to try it.

All points of view appreciated.

Damon.

When considering the size of your batch, there is a comparatively small amount of sugar used for priming, meaning there should be a minimal amount of taste imparted on your brew from your choice of priming sugar.

Thanks Trusty ,I should have also added do either perform better in terms of carbonation ?

It may be my active imagination , but i thought the carbonation drops gave the beer a slightly sharper fizz .

In the case of the the real ale I thought also, raw sugar sweetened it more & only had my sugar dispenser set on 6gm.??

Just curious.

Thanks muddy ,I'll keep experimenting .Like a kid with a bag of boiled lollies curiosity got the better of me & I had to try & eat one of the drops.I found it tatsted ok like glucose ,so maybe that stuck in my head.Dunno... For the record I also love The good o'l sparkling ale & have been drinking it since a teenager. Back then in the eighties when clear beers became all the rage my mates used to say I were drinking dirty bath water.Funny they all like ales now.. Good on coopers for sticking with tradition..

Thanks Trusty ,I should have also added do either perform better in terms of carbonation ?

It may be my active imagination , but i thought the carbonation drops gave the beer a slightly sharper fizz .

In the case of the the real ale I thought also, raw sugar sweetened it more & only had my sugar dispenser set on 6gm.??

Just curious.

What sort of sugar dispenser do you have Damo?

Cheers Todd

Gidday Todd , Its a "Kangabroo" bought it from k-mart in Kalgoorlie about 11 yrs ago so not sure if they're still about.. Its a black plastic cross between a pistol grip & a funnel with an adjustable 1/4 turn shute in the side of it. Dont know if they can be "googled" these days but the address on the old packaging I stiil have is P.O box 1156,Lane Cove NSW 2066 .

The Kanga is a fine instrument shunned by brewing suppliers these days for inexplicable reasons. I got mine off of "Ross the Fantastic" a fine upstanding member of this site, he had a spare and was kind enough to give it to me. You screw it onto a PET bottle filled with sugar (the one pictured need more sugar).

kanga1.jpg

kanga2.jpg

The second pic shows it set to the minimum 3g dose but you can release the screw and increase it to anything up to a 6g gram dose.

Archived