Coopers Community

How low can Cooper's go?

Canadian Eh!L

Well as winter turns to spring the firewood supplies dwindle for the brewery and the temperature drops into the mid teens. i have recently bought a couple can of TC Pilsner to start the lagering season. i'd still like to brew ales, though and was wondering how cool of a temp. will Cooper's kit yeast still do it's thing?

According to PB2's 'Sticky' the TC Pilsner has a lager yeast. I have a Coopers Australian Ale kit yeast ticking along nicely at 14degC at the moment (assuming my stick-on themometer is accurate).

If a muppet like me can get a Ac+L yeast doing it's thing at 14deg then a pure lager yeast may go much lower...

Like Robbo said, the Coopers yeast can do nicely at 14C but try to pitch at a higher temp to give it time to multiply or increase your pitching rate.

The ale yeast may go lower but there are a lot of variables and risks involved and I assume you are looking at temps well below 14C. I'd make a simple heat box myself with a temp controller and you can just sit back and enjoy your ice hockey (gross Canadian generalisation there [biggrin] ).

At the risk of creating some dodgy mutual appreciation club, I concur with Muddy.

The brew currently sitting at 14deg began life as a yeast starter in 400gms of liquid malt and the first 24 hours of it's life sat at 22deg...

Thanks boys for the input.

i'm kinda' expecting temps. around 10C to 14C. i have a small electric heater i can use if the brewery gets too chilly. i would like to keep my FV and 2 glass carboys working and warm if possile.

robbo, if a muppet like you can keep things brewing @ 14C then a muppet like myself will have a go at it.[biggrin]

muddy, around here we just call it "hockey". calling it "ice hockey" is redundant.[cool] it would be like saying "grass footy".[biggrin]

chad

Archived