Coopers Community

Newbie here

TimB8up

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to homebrewing. I just made my first batch minutes ago. OH YES I'M PUMPED! I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning!

I live in Indiana and chose 3 Coopers kits to start with. I just brewed the Sparkling Ale oh it smells yummy. I tasted the wort and it was tasty so I can just imagine the beer. It's going to be hard to wait a month to drink it, but good things come to those who wait. I still have a Real Ale and English Bitter to brew up.

I have wanted to brew my own for years and finally broke down and got some equipment. I really like the Coopers kits for their ease of use. I want to get a few easy brews under my belt before I go partial mash.

I couldn't have a homebrew while I brewed it but I had a Samuel Adams White Ale which is as close as I could get from store bought beer. Sam's Scotch Ale is VERY tasty I wish I had thier recipe. My mouth would be so very happy!

Thanks Tim

Welcome Tim,

Great to here your enjoying the brewing. I like the sparkling Ale, it is a great drop. Just remember to try and keep your brews at the correct temperature (roughly 21C for Ales and 13C for Lagers).

Other then that have fun with it, I haven't looked back since when I started.

Well the fermenter is happily churning away [love] . I need to find better airlocks I popped the top off the first one. Good thing I bought 2. I think I'll make my own out of a jar (I love old jars).

I've been trying to find a cheap old frig to ferment in with no luck. I finally decided heck with it it's now warm enough outside I can keep the heat turned up. I will have to brew me up some of that Scotch Ale it sounds tasty. I can hardly wait to try out all kinds of recipes. So many beers so few kegs [biggrin] .

I love beer and it's awesome I can now make my own! I can drink craft beer at swag beer prices. If I calculated right my brew should be about 7% abv. I made a 5 gallon batch to fit in my corny kegs.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

Instead of wasting your money on new airlocks, you could simply pull the o-ring out of the lid and cover the top of the fermenter with Glad wrap and secure it with the o-ring.

A few of us do that, and no need to worry about the airlock.

Howdy Tim! You think you're addicted now,wait till your 1st is ready to drink. My wife loves the OS lager brewed with the brewing sugar. Came out like a malt-forward English ale. She's gunna make it next time. This isn't just an addiction,it's a bloody disease!

I've definately got the disease and I don't want a cure. I ordered 2 more kegs last night so I can have plenty of brew going. When I was looking into before I started I decided heck with bottleing that sounds to much like work. So I ordered 2 corny-keg setup but with some recipes needing long conditioning 2 just won't do. Once I get brewing I want to quit drinking beer from the American beer monster companies.

On conditioning how long should I let the Sparkling Ale mature? Of course I want to drink it asap but I'd rather wait until its at its best.

Matty I don't have the microbrewery setup I have 7 gallon buckets. It took me a minute to figure out how to make the tiny o-ring fit around the bucket [biggrin] . I think I'll get some tubing and use a jar with water in it cheap and effective. I have a super thin plastic s lock now and its bubbling away happily.

Thanks

Tim

Archived