Coopers Community

Pale Ale Kit Yeast

Robbo

The yeast that comes with the Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit is a combo of Coopers own ale yeast and lager yeast. My question is, how low can the temp be before the yeast is unviable?

When I brew, I usually try to keep the temp around 18deg. I was thinking that I could achieve more of a lager taste if I fermented at a lower temp, say 12-14 deg. Would the yeast that comes in the Aussie PA kit cope with temps this cool?

At lower temperatures the ale yeast would become inactive, hence leaving only the lager yeast to ferment. In my opinion, this wouldn't be enough yeast for a healthy fermentation. Best keeping it at 18-21C. This is a really nice kit, and I found that cold conditioning the bottles in the fridge (after two weeks at room temperature for secondary fermentation) produced a wonderfully clean, crisp, clear and delicious brew. [cool]

Yes, the brew would need more lager yeast if fermenting down at the 12-14C mark.

If you have good temp' control, you might like to try fermenting at 16C. Make sure to start the brew at 24'ish for the first 12hrs then draw the temp down to 16C.

Sorry Paul, one other question...

Are you at liberty to tell us what hops are in the Aust Pale Ale kit. I remember reading somewhere that the Original Series are hopped with Pride of Ringwood.

Cheers guys, sorry for all the inane questions.

I am really starting to get interested in the science behind brewing. Through learning more about what I am actually drinking I hope to produce better brews (and get an idea why beers taste the way they do).

Also have started reading Laurie Strachan's 'The Complete Guide To Beer & Brewing' which i can recommend to any beginner/intermediate brewer. Also Strachan is very complementary of Coopers Ales, and rightly so.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if my thermometre is 100% correct or the margin of error they have. I currently have my Australia PA kit yeast down to 14deg and fermentation is still kicking along great.

Archived