Coopers Community

Is it too hot?

chrisp18

I have not been able to successfully brew a good coopers lager or ale since Christmas. they always come out with a strange taste that I can vaguely describe at stouty and burnt. I have changed over my fermenter because after the second one I thought it might be contaminated, but that didn't help. I tried a summer ale from the brewcraft shop and it turned out great. So I suspect that the temperatures lately have been too high for the coopers yeast. Do coopers use the same yeast in Lager, Draught and pale ale?

The instructions say that the yeast is ok up to 32 degrees but will it produce a bad beer if it is fermenting at 30 degrees?

You got that right. In my experience,always stick toward the lower range the yeast can tolerate. The Cooper's ale yeast is at it's best between 18-22C. Otherwise,you can get all manner of off flavors & longer aging to try & get rid of them. And alowing the beer to sit on the yeast cake to clean up it's own waste is a good thing to.

This all makes sense. While I was living in Canberra every brew turned out great.

Now I'm in Adelaide and at first I suspected the hard water was a problem. But now I think it might simply be the temperature. Certainly the average summer temperature in our Adelaide house is well above 22C. Which leads to the next question, do many people use an old modified fridge to ferment their beer in?

I was going to wait until winter to give a crack at a larger or pilsner here in Adelaide as I don't have an easy way to keep it down to 20 or less as it normally sits around 25 in side my house

Archived