Coopers Community

Forgot to use filter and airlock question

Rob (Guinness Man)

I've done my first brew this weekend and after following everything quiet carefully I noticed I forgot to insert the sediment filter in the tap. Doh!!! Too late now and I don't want to stick my hand in to install it. Any ideas how I can get through the bottling stage with no sediment filter?

Also my airlock seems to be pushing the water from one side to the other. Not to the point it comes out but its close to the top. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Rob

[rightful] Well done Rob!

Like the airlock, you don't need the sediment filter. I got rid of mine ages ago and it made absolutely no difference at bottling stage - So don't worry about that issue.

As for the airlock (even more useless than the sediment filter but I wont get into that rant now [biggrin] ). You probably don't have a perfect seal and the air is escaping elsewhere - Also not a problem as long as you have signs of fermentation (condensation on the lid, trub forming, gravity lowering).

So no worries at all...grab a cerveza and some tapas and enjoy the ride [cool]

ok great. I'm more relaxed now. Signs of fermentation are there. So looks like I'm on a roll. wohoo!!

I took your recommendation I purchased some Pilsner Coopers Lager with the cold weather yeast :) I'm at 16 degree's and holding strong. Lets hope no cold spells come and I should pull this one off.....

Cheers,

Rob

Archived