Coopers Community

Brew Additive Rules

DRDJ BREW

Being just a novice in this whole brewing biz I was wanting to get some info on the does and donts on home brewing.

I've had a few ideas on aditives for my next brew.

Question - Can I ad a dash of liquer to my fermenter?

I'm quite partial to Jagermeister and I sometimes ad a little nip to my glass.

Also thinkin some parsley or maybe salt?

Can I ad these to my mix/brew?

At the end of the day it's a taste thing but I'm just not sure whether these aditives would compromise my brew. Would love to hear some thoughts

Brew additives are limited by your own imagination and availability of the dreamt up item. [devil]

Some things do really well while others just don't go well in beer but you can only know this by trying it for yourself.[wink]

Also, some additives (with a significant ingredient) may not go so well in a brew while the "significant ingredient" by itself does okay - eg. I find Gin (strongly flavoured with juniper berries) to be very average in beer while juniper berries do okay.

A few rules I work by:

- sanitise ingredients if organic or you have some doubt about the microbial load.

- if possible check it out by adding to a single bottle rather than a whole brew.

- err on the side of small additions first.

- don't confuse things for yourself by combining multiple "first try" additives

As for adding a liquer - I added Cointreau to a Choc-Orange Wheat Beer and it gave it that extra "something" I was looking for [biggrin]

Well,I found that liquors (scotch,bourbon,etc) Were added by maturing the beer in the used wood casks that the liquors in question had been aged in. I also found that the slang name "whiskely" was used from colonial times up through the 1920's. I thought of getting some oak chips & soaking them in bourbon till saturated,then adding that to secondary with any dry hoping being done. IMO,it'd make a better blend. I'm going to try that myself with a recipe I worked up from what was originally done.

Archived