Coopers Community

DME or Liquid ME?

LlewellynT

I've been told that the liquid malt extract yields a slightly higher end alc %, not too sure if thats correct.Someone else can clarify this, im sure it was my local HBS that told me this. As you have said what you get your hands on you use. If i don't buy online or go to the LBHS i can't get the liquid malt.

The main difference is one is liquid the other is powder!

This is what John Palmer says:

"Malt extract is sold in both liquid (syrup) and powdered forms. The syrups are approximately 20 percent water, so 4 pounds of Dry Malt Extract (DME) is roughly equal to 5 pounds of Liquid Malt Extract (LME). DME is produced by heating the liquid extract and spraying it from an atomizer in a heated chamber. DME is identical to LME except for the additional dehydration."

To me the advantage of the Coopers liquid malts is that you can get amber, dark and wheat as well as light, whereas I find dried malt harder to come by in different types.

Dan

Thanks guy's, so if I understand correctly - if a recipe calls for DME & you replace that with LME then slightly more LME would be used? And taste wise there should be no difference? I would actually prefer using the LME anyway as I always struggle to stop the DME from clumping![biggrin]

LME is about 80% of the fermentable material of DME, so yes, you need to up the amount. The taste and result should be the same if you use like for like, ie light DME subbed with light LME with the same colour etc. There may of course be some difference in brands due to the malts used.

Dry Malt is very stable in colour, aroma and flavour - it keeps for years!

Liquid Malt extract, although relatively stable, changes colour, aroma and flavour over time. This process is accelerated with higher temperatures. More obvious with lighter coloured/flavoured malt extracts.

Archived