Coopers Community

Improving pilsener kit tips please

MarkA8

Hello brothers, anyone got any tips on improving the pilsener kit? i'm planning on steeping 1.5 kg of lager grain adding hallertau hops in a 60 min boil then cascade for last 20 with 500g of extra light spray malt.Should i add any dextrose any tips welcomed!

Hello brothers' date=' anyone got any tips on improving the pilsener kit? i'm planning on steeping 1.5 kg of lager grain adding hallertau hops in a 60 min boil then cascade for last 20 with 500g of extra light spray malt.Should i add any dextrose any tips welcomed![/quote']

I've made this kit only once, with good results. It's next on my list once my FV is open [a Heritage Lager in there right now]. I'm not sure what you are refering to when you say "lager malt", but 1.5kg sounds like a bit much. I've had success with steeping abot 225 grams of light cyrstal, and boiling some extra hops in that liquor for 20 minutes. On the other hand, the recipe on the How To Brew side looks pretty good for this one:

\u20221.7kg can Thomas Coopers Pilsener

\u2022500g Light Dry Malt

\u2022300g Dextrose

I think I'll give that one a go, with some more Saaz.

Hi thanks for reply, it was 1.5 kg of pilsener malt (crushed grain) which i mashed for an hour.I actually have the pilsener kit bottled at the mo, I did the same with the kit as i previously mentioned but used 500g of crystal malt grain which has sent it quite dark like an IPA it tastes great so in another week it will be ready to crack a bottle open.I'm looking for mini mash partial mash recipes if anyone can offer any, thanks.

The Pilsener beer kit offers sufficient dextrins. So perhaps mash the 1.5kg grain addition at a temp between 60C-65C.

If you want more flavour aroma from the hallertau hops, add to the boil at the last 30mins - how much did you add?

Cascade doesn't really suit this brew if you are looking to make something true to style. But hey, it doesn't hurt to try things![biggrin]

If you haven't fermented the IPA before, you might like to try Motueka Slam IPA

Only Add 1/3 of the Hallertau when you are bringing the wort up to the boil also known as 1st wort hopping then add rest of the Hallertau as late as possible in the boil also try a 45 minute boil so you dont get excess darkening of the wort .You dont need extra sugars if your doing a mini-mash ,The DME only needs 2-5 minutes at pasteurization temperatures (60-100c)to be sanitized so add it when you turn off the boil .As for the Hops to replace the Cascade try some Belgian Saaz from New Zealand that you should be able to get from your local homebrew shop.

http://www.brewery.org/library/1stwort.html

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

Archived