Coopers Community

Making yeast starter from Pale Ale

Hoptimus Maximus

Hi every one this is my first post although I have been lurking for a while.

I want to make a Pale Ale using yeast from one x Pale Ale 750ml.

I have a home made stirrer and a 2 litre Erlenmeyer flask. I feel comfortable with the sanitation bit. I have read the instruction from Paul for using 4 or more stubbies of pale ale but would like to see if I can make a starter without stepping up from one x Pale Ale 750ml.

I was going to make a wort made from 1.7 litres of water and 200gms of LDME and possibly some yeast nutrient. The plan is to just collect 3cm of the dregs from a Pale Ale bottle and put it straight into the wort described above. I understand the need for temperature matching etc. Can anyone confirm that my approach should work and how will I know when it is ready to pitch?

You can propagate yeast from 1 cell if you want to so yes it is possible but most homebrewers don't have access to labs ,microscopes ,stir plates ,growth media etc .

White labs make a Australian Ale yeast and heres thier instructions for starters .

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp009.html

Procedure:

In a medium sauce pan, add 2 pints of water and 1 cup Dried Malt Extract (DME). Mix well and boil the solution for about 10 minutes to sterilize. Cover and cool the pan to room temperature in an ice bath. This will give you a wort of approximately 1.040 OG. Keeping the Original Gravity low is important because you want to keep the yeast in its growth phase, rather than its fermentation phase. The fermentation phase will create alcohol which can be toxic to yeast in high concentrations.

Pour the wort into a sanitized glass container (flask, growler, etc.) and pitch the vial of yeast. Cover the top of the container with a sanitized piece of aluminum foil so that it is flush with the container, but will still allow CO2 to escape. Vigorously shake or swirl the container to get as much oxygen dissolved in the solution as possible. Allow the starter to sit at room temperature for 12-24 hours, occasionally shaking it to keep the solution aerated.

You probably won\u2019t see any visible activity, but the yeast is busy taking up the oxygen and sugars in the solution and growing new cells. After the yeast has consumed all of the nutrients and oxygen, it will form a milky white layer on the bottom of the container. If you are not planning on pitching the yeast right away, you can store it in the refrigerator with the foil still in place. When you are ready to brew, decant off most of the clear liquid from the top, being careful not to disturb the yeast layer below. Once the yeast and your wort are at approximately the same (room) temperature, rouse the starter yeast into suspension and pitch the entire quantity into your fermenter.

Thanks Paul I have read that one and watched some youtubes on it. Just wanted to try doing it from one bottle without stepping up.

This link was what got me going and i made a stirrer with scrap components I had.

http://www.primetab.com/yeaststarter.html

Can you see anything wrong with that method using one 750 rather than a smackpack or other source ?

A smack pack or commercial yeast vial will probably have more yeast cells in it than a bottle conditioned sample but commercial yeasts are usually not as fresh as you can get a bottle of Pale Ale .If you want you can start with a small starter of dilute cooled wort in the bottle (500ml Water, 1/4 cup DME) and then build up to a larger starter if you want to .Also remember to flame the top of the bottle with a lighter .

i've been trying to reactivate yeast from bottle conditioned sierra nevada pale ale. i've tried two separate starters following PB2's instructions. there is a little bit of action in the jars (bubbles) but nothing i would consider thriving. there is only a weak ring of bubbles at the surface and a thin yeast cake at the bottom.

should there be someting more?

i don't feel like i would get a great result if i pitched what i have come up with.

Archived