Coopers Community

Alcohol Content?

matchstick1

Hey all. My first batch is on its 7th day in the fermenter. My hydrometer read about 1012 yesterday, i'll check again today for consistency. I would like to know what the alcohol content of my brew will be but i didn't take an origianl gravity measurement, i didn't know i was supposed too... i've got the Coopers kit and am brewing the lager that came with it. does anyone know what the approximate alcohol content will be? I followed the Coopers instructions to a T. Any help or suggestions for my second batch would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Assuming you used 1 can and 1 kilo of sugar best guess would be 3.5% if bottled now if you can get it down to 1008 should be 4% this is assuming OG of 1035. Suggestion for your next brew go for 2 cans of what you like but don't and any sugar, only for priming. 1kg of extract should give 1.8% Alc.so 1.7 x1.5= 2.55% 1 kg of white sugar should give 1.8% Alc. so 2.55 + 1.8 = 4.35 if brewed out plus .5% from your priming sugar total 4.85%

G'day Matchstick, welcome to the Brewers Guild!

If you used 1kg of Brewing Sugar (comes with the Micro-Brew Kit) you should get about 4.6%ABV.

If you used or 1kg of Brew Enhancer 1 (comes with the DIY Beer Kit) you should get about 4.2%ABV.

I think this is a newbie issue, I did it myself! Pete - perhaps some feedback for the labels of the can to add "measure OG"? The important same FG over two days is very clear, however no mention of OG measurement on the label itself.

Not a huge issue, as I've now learnt to do it, but just as an added step perhaps?

cheers, Nathan.

I bought a hydrometer from LHBS as the one that came with the kit I was given for Christmas 2 years ago only went to 1040. the bought one is now in 147 pieces, so I only have the 1040 one, which doesn't cover most of my brews, so I never take an OG reading, but do take a reading anywhere after 7-10 days in the tub (longer for the Euro lager in the fridge ATM as it is suggested it will take 2-3 weeks). Check the next day and if I get the same reading I'll bottle (or keg) it, or maybe just let it sit there a few more days, which won't hurt it, but will help clear it. I find the calculators online are resonably accurate, accurate enough anyway, and after 30 brews one knows what the ABV % ballpark will be, which is good enough for I.

summing up, if you don't take anOG reading, you won't get kicked out of the brewers guild![rightful]

Archived