Coopers Community

Have i Bottled to Early?

StevenM3

Hi All

Last night (Days 6) i took a sample ok my Coopers Larger that came with my DIY Kit, the SG was 1008 after degassing, which i thought was the same as day 4 but a double checked my notes and found SG was 1009

My concern is after thinking about it this morning i'm worried that the fermentation may have not finished, the OG was 1033 and pitched at 26C by day 2 i had the temp down to 24 and days 4-6 it was between 20C-22C. After reading the forum i'm thinking i whould have left it for at least 7 dasy to be sure ?

I bottles in new PET bottles and added the 2 carb drops to each bottle befor filling and filled to about 15mm below the bottle thread.

What is likely to happen :-(

I'll make sure i write a note on the inside of the beer fridge "IF IN DOUBT WAIT ANOTHER DAY"

Thanks

You should be fine, depending what you used with the lager can. If you used BE1 an FG of 1008 is quite low, and the fact that they are in PET means bottle bombs are not an issue.

Patience is, however, very valuable in brewing [cool]

Sanitation is the key don't get lazy. Read the forum and pick up tips after a while it will be second nature. But one tip as others have said leave your brew in the fermentor for two weeks.

Today was my 103th brew no infections yet most important follow the sanitation guidelines. Happy brewing

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well tomorrow night will be 2 weeks since i bottled my first Homebrew, had a look at a couple of the bottles and looked very clear and only the tiniest amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle (less than 1 mm) bottle feel very firm i can only press in the sides the smallest amount.

I have 2 questions

1) I\u2019m going to stick one in the back of the fridge tonight and crack open tomorrow night, as i was a bit concerned about bottling to early if the beer is over carbonated, Will it be too late to try and degas the bottles? And if not do i just untwist until i hear the hiss then close back up?

2) Also i don't have a beer mug yet as everything gets run through the dish washer, if i put one aside and give a good rub with a clean cloth will that be enough to get rid of any residue that will kill the head on the beer ?

Thanks

Hi Steven - Sediment in the bottle is a good thing as it means carbonation has occured. With time in the bottle it will become more compacted on the bottom of the bottle and will not end up in you glass unless you want it to.

No it isn't to late to degass the bottles - and yes just open them enough to release the pressure (If they are overcarbed watch out for gushers). As for your glasses give it a good clean with very hot (or boiling water) and you'll be right. I usually just wash my beer glasses with hot water but periodically I will wash them with 1 drop of dishwashing liquid and hot water (or bicarb and vinegar if I'm in the mood).

While dish soap is not good for beer neither is a dirty glass.

Steven,

Your beer glasses should be OK straight from the dishwasher. They use an alkaline 'detergent' not a typical surfactant type dish detergent which is what kills the foam.

Also keep in mind that 2 weeks is the absolute earliest your beer is drinkable, it will improve significantly over the next month or so.

Don't bother degassing your bottles unless it is obvious when you open the first one that Krakatoa lies within. That FG of 1008 sounds just fine.

Dan

Archived