Coopers Community

Degassing to check FG

StevenM3

Hi All

My DIY Kit looks like it is going along nicely we are at the end of day 4, just removed the krausen collar and beer is already looking fantastic after starting at 26C have got the temp down to 22C on the second day and it has now go to 20C and steady. When I lifted off the lid all the condensation on the lid fell back into the fermenter, I assume this is ok?

anyway I took a sample from the tap and discarded the first sample and took another dropped in the hydrometer and got a reading of 1012 (OG was 1033) but there appeared to be quite a few bubbles on the sides of the hydrometer, I gave it a few taps to "degas" the sample and the new reading was 1009, should I make sure the sample is degassed totally or is taking the bubbles of the outside of the hydrometer enough.

Also I know the DVD says ait 6 days and I\u2019m not about to try and do anything yet. I just wanted to see how it was going, I has a smell and it smelt great, was tempted to have a taste but thought I would wait until FG is consistent over 2 days,

Also one last question, when bottling the beer do I just go the level of the tape and discard the rest? Or do I lean it forward? With the level just below 23L will I fill 30 PET bottles? And how close to the top do you fill them? Should I leave about an inch and a half (35mm) from the top as this is was my mum suggested when she used to do home brew with the glass bottles years ago?

Steven, I don't use a hydrometer so I am only passing on knowledge gleaned from this site, I believe if you just spin your hydrometer to remove the bubbles you should be right. The condensation is virtually distilled water so yes it will be OK, as for filling the bottles, I am assuming that you use the bottling tool supplied with the kit to fill bottles, in which case you fill the bottles as near to the top as you like, when the bottling tool is removed from the bottle after filling, it will leave sufficient head space in the bottle. You can tip the FV to get the last of the beer out, just be careful not to carry over too much yeast, and yes, if you have filled the FV to 23L and havn't drawn off too many samples or sneaky tastes, you should get 30 bottles out of it. (depending of course on the bottle size)

Yep spinning the hydrometer or bouncing it off the bottom will help dislodge the bubbles. I tend to leave my sample sitting on the kitchen bench for a few hours then get a reading. You can also get a couple of coffee cups and tip the sample back and forth until you get bored to help speed up the process.

I get as much as I can when filling bottles and go right to the bottom and only stop when I see the sediment heading the for the tap. I used to mark the last few bottle differently to refelect that they might have execess sediment but found they tasted the same as the others. The sediment drops out with bottle age and becomes quite compact on the bottom of the bottles - and that is where it stays when pouring your beer into a glass.

how close to the top do you fill them

Using the "little bottler" I fill the PETs until there's froth just coming out the top of the bottle. Withdrawing the bottle from the little bottler will give you some space in the bottle. You can adjust the flow from the bottler so you don't spill over. Tilt the fermenter when you get to the bottom and you'll get an easy 30 bottles from 23L, plus a glass or two to sample. You might be surprised, warm flat beer has a bad rap!

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate the help, you must get a fresh rush of newbie\u2019s every Christmas?

Was talking to my Dad who used to do his own homebrew (he claims he did it but I only ever recall Mum doing everything and dad was the head bottle capper) he sounded amazed when I spoke about keeping the FV at 20-22 he used to just sit it on the back veranda and put a blanket around it in winter.

This may explain why he isn\u2019t so keen to come over and try my brew once it is finished [roll].

Is fermentation normally finished at around 6-7 days? I\u2019m going to take another sample tomorrow and hopefully bottle on Wednesday night

Also after taking a sample last night should I still discard the first half sample before taking a reading or is that just the first time to clear out any sediment in the tap?

Now I just need to buy another 30 bottles so I can start on my second batch, considering a coopers draught as I normally drink Carlton draught so it will be interesting to compare the two can someone tell mt waht goes with the standard draught can?

Where is the best place to purchase cans, BE, carb drops and bottles? Online or at BigW or should I try and find a specialty store?

Thanks

Where is the best place to purchase cans' date=' BE, carb drops and bottles? Online or at BigW or should I try and find a specialty store?[/quote']

Big W is the best of the supermarkets for Coopers stock but you'll only get the original and international series cans. For the Thomas Coopers selection you'll need to find a home brew store. Itend to order mine directly from the Coopers store which is cheaper until you include their astronomical delivery charges [annoyed] . I figure the product directly from Coopers will be fresher even if the initial savings are absorbed (and then some) by postage.

A bit off topic, but does the amount of space you leave in the bottle have any correlation to the eventual size of the head? ie more space left, bigger head/less space = less head? Or are they determined purely by carbonation rates? Probably a silly question...but anyway[unsure]

Archived