Coopers Community

Ginger Beer - How Long to Complete Ferment

KylieB1

After buying my bf his Coopers Kit, I brought a GB can & made it in 2 blue water cooler bottles with taps @ the bottom.

I had one airlock & plug, but for the other one I used a balloon with the mouth end cut off. (Stretched over top) Every now & then (once a day-ish) I let the air out & re snap the balloon back. All looks great so far.

I'm just wondering if it is ready to come out? I pitched the yeast 10 days ago, and I have them both kept in cuboards. (Fairly awkward but bf had beer going in laundry)

I checked the hydrometre readings, both started at 1.22 (which seemed low, but I took a reading directly after adding the yeast... could this have screwed with my reading?)

I followed recipe with 1kg of raw sugar,& I added a cup of brown sugar as well...

The reading on both of them is 1.000??? Is this a possible reading? Can it drop anymore?

Can someone tell me what their GB is finishing at???

And has anyone added finings or similar? I would like it clearer if possible... Sooner.

Thanks 4 ur help.

Kylie[biggrin]

Hey Kylie - 1.000 sounds about right (my last GB finished at 1.000).

You can just put a bit of glad wrap over the top with a rubber band to hold it on - the air will find it's own way out. Are water cooler bottles suitable for alcohol?

You can always leave it a bit longer and take a reading in a few days to see if it drops. Once you have constant readings over a few days you should be right to bottle. A bit of extra time in the fermentor can't hurt - it also gives the GB time to clear up a bit more.

I wouldn't bother with finings what doesn't drop put of suspension in the fermentor will drop out with time in the bottle. Like airlocks, finings are just an extra step that really don't achieve much but still keep some people happy [lol]

You say you want it clearer sooner but patience is the key. GB isn't really a clear drink at the best of times. Maybe put another batch on once you get this bottled so you can get a bit of stock up. GB usually is drinkable sooner than beer but often takes a bit longer to carbonate.

Thanks heaps. (Glad I'm on the right track.)

Am I right in working out alcohol% to be aroun 3-3.5%?

I will wait another day or two, I am not sure about the water bottles, they are working pretty well, (and I have quite a few at the house) they are 15L each. Thought it was worth a try.

I will be patient. Not a huge strength of mine.

Last night we opened a bottle of our first home brew (Coopers lager) that we started at the end of Nov, (few weeks in bottle) tastes.. a little watery, Something between a vb & new. Definately drinkable.

Let me know how it goes,

Ive got a Ginger Beer on at 6 days ferment atm, and its still at 1030, but its using 1.7kg of RAW sugar and 375mls of Yellowbox Honey,

Had a taste last night when I took the collar off and woah, is it nice.

Hi Dale,

gee wizz, that sounds potent at day six... We call 'em 1 bottle screamers. Did you add all the fermentables at once? I read that if you add too much sugar at the beggining, the sugar doesn't all dissolve & sinks, getting trapped in the yeast sediment & can cause problems, (like explosive bottles) if you dont ferment to completion... Perhaps give it a stir? (Anyone against this???)

What was your OG?

My ginger beer is definately still at 1.000 so today I am going to buy bottles... It tastes great.

Good Luck.

Hi,

All the sugar was disolved in boiling water, before any thing else was added, then the extract was added and also honey that had been soaked in hot water for 5 mins, the water was clear so nothing left on the bottom.

I will be testing again today and will probably give it a stir, but not sure if its the best idea yet.

Archived