Coopers Community

Will my stout be to weak?

DennisM4

Greetings from sweden again, i made my first brew this tuesday and i used the irish stout can 1,7 kg with 1kg brewing sugar and original yeast, now after when im looking more into it i see that about everyone is using eather 2 cans, less water or dried light malt, so here iam with my brewed made of brewingsugar and wondering, how will it turn out? To weak? Ive tasted it, taste fine but not close to a stout, will it develop more tastes or what could i expect of it? Anyone tryed something close to this? Greatful for answers / Dennis

Dennis, you are lucky the beer only takes 7-10 days, [whistling] I would hate to see your patience through a pregnancy[lol]!

It should be fine. May not have all the intricate characteristics, found in the likes of best extra stout, that come with adding extra malt, less water or another can of goo, but it should still be good drinking from around 4 weeks following bottling providing it hasn;t been infected. Flavours may develop with time in the bottle.

now you have access to this website, I suggest you find a recipe and follow it, try the beer after appropriate conditioning, then if you feel the beer has too much of something or not enough of some other ingredient, ask for some advice here and alter the recipe accordingly and go brewing.

Enjoy[wink]

Dennis, the Irish Stout kit is designed to give a beer close to the Irish stout style. Guinness draught and Murphys are actually quite low in alcohol (4.1 - 4.3 % from memory)and that is what the Irish kit made to instructions will give you.

We are talking about Coopers Best extra stout which is a foreign / export stout, a style that has a signficantly greater alcohol content (originally to allow it to travel well on long journeys).

So, to get to an answer - if you are trying to replicate an Irish Stout, your stout will not be too weak. If you were trying to replicate an export stout, you used the wrong recipe!

Cheers

Dan

Thank you for the quick replys, yes my patient is indeed whack lol and did not compare to extra stout :) murphys for example is in the top of my favorites, why i asked was because i expected that i choose the wrong sugar for my brew, but next time i will go for the double can recipe and after that an ale. I will try crackin one open at newyear to check how it tastes then ill let em mature. Thank you again for your very giving replys this quickly// Dennis

Dennis for some other ideas' date=' check out the stout recipes - each has a description of the finished beer.

Saw that when already started the batch. I will keep in mind checking the recipes first. I just read the description on the addings when i ordered. I will sure keep that in mind on my next brew.

And aside from that, i love this forum. Havnt got as much help with anything befor as i have on this brewing forum. Even tho it must be annoying for u guys with my annoying questions all the time. But i will keep that in mind and answer to other new people when iam more experienced.

Archived