Coopers Community

Coopers Pale Ale : Bit to fizzy a bit to sweet??

Ollie

Hi guys - Looking for some advice from some guys with more experience than me (so that should be most of you :) )!!

I brewed a Coopers Pale Ale back in September (12th) and just tasted it and it is a bit to fizzy and a bit sweeter than normal...

If I decant the longy into a glass after about 10 mins the fizz dies down but not to that smoothness that a coopers has.

Sweeter too... So any ideas??

If the details of the brew help they are below...[biggrin] thanks heaps!!

1.7kg can of pale ale malt, 1kg premium brew sugar containing 500G light malt, 300G dextrose, 200G maltodextrin, coopers brewing yeast from can 7G. 2 coopers sugar tablets per long neck.

Mixed as per usual, then added the yeast @ 24 degrees, sealed and left in cupboard which is @ 18-20 degrees.

OG on the 12/9 was 1051 final gravity on the 18/9 was 1001.

Cheers

Looking at the sugar blend, I don't see how the brew can get down to 1001, without the use of enzyme. [whistling

Howver, if the brew finished at 1001, assuming this reading is accurate, it can't possibly be sweet [rightful]

Have you made this brew before? Perhaps you prefer brews with higher bitterness - Australian Pale Ale is one of the lower bitterness beer kits.....

Hey Paul,

Yeah I thought that about the FG too, very low?? I think my hydromater might be buggered, hence I bought a new one!!!

Beeing newish (had a break for a year and a half) to the home brewing this is only the 1st time I made this one (in a long time), & don't remember it beeing this sweet! It is my favourite beer and I wanted to replicate it!

As John says below about aging... Do you think the fizz will back off a bit with age???

Cheers for your in put fellas!!! Really appreciate it!

I love this forum![biggrin]

Hope you made sure to check the hydro in water prior to simply tossing it [pinched]

The sugar blend you used is different to the recommended BE2 so there may be more residual sweetness. Sweetness doesn't decrease with time in the bottle, rather the bitterness will decrease.

One option with this kit - use two cans, no other sugars and make it to a volume of 25litres, pitch both yeast sachets. This option will definitely give you more bitterness and it makes a nice beer. [biggrin]

Archived