Coopers Community

KEG query cloudy frothy beer - HELP please

HartleyHare

Hi guys n girls, just after some advice please. I have brewed my first homebrew, a Coopers Australian Lager. I completed primary fermentation after 7 days or so. I then dissolved 80g of sugar into boiling water, let it cool and added to my king keg when I siphoned beer. I then drew off 3 bottles just so I could compare difference. After a week or so I put out in garage to condition after the secondary fermentation, the bottles I fridged. The bottled lager seems good after 2 weeks, clear as a bell, and good gas, although not producing much of a head. The problem is the keg, this is very frothy and cloudy. Could you tell me if I have not left it long enough to condition, or is it something else. For secondary fermentation the keg was in the lounge, however i put the bottles in with the hot water tank. Could it be the lounge was too cold, and secondary fermentation not occurred, if so, is it too late to warm it in hope fermentation will kick off. The keg has and had pressure. Please help. Thanks Sean

The brew hasn't had much time to condition [pinched]

Secondary fermentation in a keg tends to take longer to clear and requires a lower priming rate than in bottle.

Are you already looking to serve from the King Keg? If so, what temp is it at and are you applying head pressure via a CO2 bulb or similar?

i am having a similar problem with a Coopers draught that i have kegged. i thought i left it to carb long enough, but it is cloudy and sweet, which i found out after i hooked it up and cooled it down.

Paul, do you suggest unhooking, warming and rousing gently to finish naturally condition? if not what are the options?

thanks

Trusty

Give it a go Trusty. Hooking it up to gas has only put more CO2 head pressure on it so allow it to warm, discharge some CO2 out of the pressure relief valve, give it a shake then leave it to condition for a couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

seaons greetings comrades

Just an update on my prob with the draught from a few weeks ago, I realised after looking at my notes that i added the amount of sugar required for bottling 6-8gms/L, instead of the 4gms/L suggested by PB2. So after a further 3 weeks in the keg at Christmas (total now of over 5 weeks) and it was still cloudy and sweet. I only have 2 kegs (the other has a heavily hopped COLager, which also requires time[crying] ) and am running out of patience. I am putting the draught back in the fridge for tomorrow night, so hopefully it will be ok[pinched] .

Any or all advice/comments welcome[kissing]

All the best for tomorrow night and for the new year.

happy brewing.

Thanks Paul, I had a quick taste test yesterday afternoon (when it was still warm) and the residual sweetness has gone, thank you yeasties[kissing] . it wasn't as clear as I would like, but I have been giving it a gentle rock to ensure activity. So we'll be drinking the draught draught this arvo/evening.

Thanks again.[cool]

With natural conditioning, a keg should be fizzy enough within 7 to 14 days. Being a larger vessel, it can take longer for the yeast to fall out of suspension, leaving the beer bright - this also depends on the yeast strain. [biggrin]

The beer is draw up from the bottom of the keg so the first few glasses will always be cloudy, regardless of yeast strain and conditioning time.

my quick taste test should have been a bit more comprehensive. the beer was not carbonated and did not really taste like beer. I haven't had an opportunity to do a post mortem, but will try to get to the bottom of why it didn't fizz. I'm thinking maybe not a proper seal of the keg?[pinched] Anyway, it was very dissapointing, luckily i realised in time, about 6pm NYE and sent the MRS to get some more beer...

Archived