Coopers Community

Recipe Suggestions please

LiamF

Hello there. I am a new brewer, having just bottled my third brew (lager #2). My first lager, and my second brew(I haven't cracked the Canadian Blonde yet),was pretty good, it improved over time and was consumed pretty quickly. A couple of the ladies in the group asked if I could make a beer that didn't have a bitter after taste like the Lager. Can anyone give me a couple of suggestions that a learner like me make and satisfy my more particular friends?

Cheers.[cool]

Hi Liam,

I've found that the Aussie Pale Ale from the International series made as per the instructions on the kit (1 kilo of BE2) makes a beer that is not too bitter.

Also making it with a kilo of light dry malt is nice (in my opinion), it gives it a fuller flavour.

Hope this helps.

I use the above mentioned quite alot, however to "freshen" it up I also add a Late hop addition when the ferment is about half to 3/4 way through, does wonders to.. spice it up a little.. there are other things you can do but I would suggest adding approx. 1g per litre of ferment volume at about half - 3/4 expected FG

cheers and good luck

The only beer my wife seems to want to touch is the Mex Cev with the BE2. Low in bitterness. The other things you could consider is the ginger beer or look to a cider. The only problem I find with the cider however is that it may be a bit dry. But it could keep you out of trouble [rightful]

Another option is to possibly go with a wheat beer...and dare I say, add some fruitiness - LeinenKugel (Wisconsin) do a fantastic blueberry wheat and Sam Adams does a blackberry witbier during the summer months. Both very drinkable, especially to the fairer gender. There are plenty of clone recipes available.

Archived