Coopers Community

Overspiced the Old Spiced???

EvanS1

I have put down what i had hoped to be a festive type beer from a stout kit. I have added the cinnamon from the Old Spiced recipe but after several dark ales i misread the recipe and put in 2 tablespoons instead of teaspoons! Have i ruined it?

Some of you may say i have ruined it even before i added the cinnamon, here's what i did..

I have added 500g of brown sugar and 30g of amarillo hops dry to the standard stout kit. Plus my 2tbsp of cinnamon made up to 20l.

Whaddya reckon? Seemed like a good idea at the time...

I think that is a fairly unique brew, so there is only one way to find out if you have ruined it - maybe let us know in a month or so how it turned out!

(I did the same thing in a (food) recipe once, tablespoons instead of teaspoons of cinnamon can end badly!).

Dan

Cheers guys, forgot to mention i had 500g of dark malt extract in there aswell.

I'm also gonsidering a bail-out in the finest traditions of the english banking system... there's lots of room in the top of my fermenter, could i add another 10l of wort to the mix once it slows down or is this just asking for trouble?

Ive done that by mistake once before, using 2 tablespoons instead of tea spoons, and you do get a bit of bite in the finished product. I love the taste of cinnamon though, so it didnt bother me that much. Having said that, i did leave it 6 months in the bottle before trying it. [biggrin]

I realise it's a bit too early to get too excited but i've just tasted it after 4 days in primary and it is quite nice! Was expecting it to taste like Old Spice the aftershave but pleasantly surprised. I wonder will carbonation bring out more intensity in the flavour?

Just as well really, 6 months in the bottle is a bit beyond me, also would make my Festive beer ready in summer, not quite what i had planned. Be lucky if it makes 6 days in the bottle...

Archived