Coopers Community

IBUs

JohnV3

G'day John, welcome to the Brewers Guild!

No, bitterness in the beer kit can is diluted when the brew is made up to a volume (eg 23litres) then reduced again through fermentation activity.

The amount of bitterness may be estimated by using the formula in FAQs

Thanks. My plan was to use 2 cans of Thomas Coopers Selection IPA extract and then during the boil add 20g Goldings for 60min, 20g Chinook for 30min and 20g Cascade for 10 min. But if I use the calculation in the FAQ section, i get 710*3.4/23 which is about 104 IBUs on it's own.......ait seems I don't even need to add the hops and it also is too many IBUs for an IPA - am I overdoing it with 2 cans of extract?

There may be as much as 30% loss of bitterness during fermentation, which leaves it around the 70 IBU mark, more than enough bitterness [devil]

If you are considering boiling the IPA beer kits - this will drive off their hop aromatics (Styrian Golding). The IPA goes really well with nothing more than addtional dry hopping - Motueka Slam is a good example of this.

So you could just throw the Chinook and Cascade into the FV and make a delightful ale. [biggrin]

Thanks again PB2. I really wanted to fool around with the bittering hops. I may complement one can of extract with another can of unhopped LME or perhaps even a pound or so of DME.....I appreciate your help in answering my questions.[innocent]

Archived