Coopers Community

will this make any difference?

IanM12

so, when i brew my beer, and after the froth has died down, there always appears to be most of my yeast around the edge of the vessel, out of the wort.

wouldnt this be better in the wort?

can i remove the lid(including airlock) and scrape it back into the liquid?

ya beat me to it kearnage was gonna say exactly same thing LOL but as kearnage said mate this is normal for the scum ring to form above the top of the wort and after a few days you will notice dead yeast cells on the bottom of the fermenter but as said never undo the seal as it can cause infection which from the one i had was horrid [biggrin]

Yeast does not make up the main component of the crusty ring, rather other materials within the wort. Leave it where it sits.

By the time the crusty ring has formed, the yeast population within the brew has multiplied to as much as 70 million cells per ml, plenty to finish the fermenting job. [ninja]

Also the yeast sediment at the bottom of the FV comprises millions of live and dead cells. You could easily harvest it to ferment another brew. [cool]

The lid may be removed for a brief period of time (to add dry hops for example) with no ill effect. [biggrin]

Archived