Coopers Community

first batch of wheet beer

markc12

Greeting i am a ccouple of fermentation days into a batch of coopers wheet beer, this is bubling away nicely at around 21c and i know its going to take a bit longer to ferment than my last batch(australian lager) can anbody who has brewed this previously elaborate on the approximate fermentation time for this style of lager and how it turned out for them, this is my primary christmas brew so im more than a little interested.

many thanks

Mark[bandit]

Hi, I am into brewing my second wheat beer.The first fermented for only 3.5 days, left in keg and bottled on 7th day. Drank at 10 days. Best beer by far that I have brewed. Excellent drinking even at ea[roll] rly stage after bottling. This is my clear favourite. Temperature during first brew was arond 17c at night to 26c during the day. Temps are a bit up on that now, but I anticipate no problems.Head retention is very good too.Cheers.

cheers terry, funnily enough mine is into its 3rd day and fermentation has really slowed down today i was expecting much longer fermentation at the temperature,did you check final gravity or just bottle on the 7th day?

mark

Hi Mark,

I had a go at a wheat beer a couple of months ago. My experience was not good - It turned out to be a dud (read shocker!!!).

However this is no reflection on wheat beers, or brewing them. I just slipped up somewhere along the way and it didn't work.

Some brewers on here have had fantastic results with wheat beers - so it can be done! (have a search using the google tool pinned to the top of the forum)

Mine started off well, 3-4 days of solid fermentation, but was still going (slowly) after 10 days. I kept the temp at 21deg C using a heat pad. By this stage, I was concerned that the yeast wasn't working in large enough numbers or may have died.

The good people on here (Muddy Waters, Andris, PB2) advised me to forget about the airlock bubbles, and focus on the hydrometer readings.

At this stage, my SG was only 1030 or so - after 10 days! Apparently the yeast eats the simple sugars first, then takes longer munching the complex sugars - which are prevalent in wheat beers (sorry to the technically knowledgeable if I have got this wrong!)

By this stage, I was getting concerned so made up what an experienced mate called a 'rescue yeast' - just reconstituted the yeast in the pack with warm boiled, then cooled water. I added this, and waited.

The airlock continued to bubble (not relevant) and after 20 days, the SG got down to 1016 (or so) and I bottled it in plastic.

I was hoping a decent bottle age would sort out the primary fermentation troubles, but alas, after a month in the bottle they tasted no good.

My missus suggested the taste was like gerkhin water mixed with soap.

So I called that a dud and watered the garden with it.

Based on Terry's success - I'd do whatever he's doing! sounds like he's onto something.

I had tried to make a erdinger clone - trying to match the wheat, malt and subtle hopping.

But will definitely try again!

look forward to hearing how you get on

my batch will be a week on the go onthursday so as the fermentation process seems to have slowed down im lashing on the brewbelt to bring it up from the 20c its loitering at now to 23-24c to see if i tad more fermtation occurs no air bubbles for the last 2 days from the air lock on top and all going well i was hoping to bottle before the weekend any advice on this for a brewer still using stabilisers on his bicycle?

many thanks

mark

Archived