Coopers Community

Malt extract pricing

AndrewD9

I'm not sure if there are many Kiwis here or if anyone else can help with this question.

I can buy the original series Coopers kits at my local supermarket for about NZ$12. But to buy a 1.5kg can of extract I have to pay about NZ$20 at an out-of-the-way homebrew shop (oh and for reference the orginal kits cost NZ$14 at the homebrew shop). Does anyone know why the extract is so much more than a kit? Is it because there is less of a market for it, or is there some other reason (perhaps the importer is setting the pricing)?

If there are any other knowledgable Kiwis here I would be keen to hear of any suppliers of reasonably priced plain extract.

Thanks

Andrew

Thanks for the suggestion Brian, but I've already check the Coopers online store. The extract prices are excellent as you say, but the shipping cost to NZ is very high, so unfortunately that's not an option.

Thanks

well that sux mate :) did you check out liquorcraft nz

Andrew

Not sure about the "knowlegeable" part - I had the same issue so did quite a few toucans as a Coopers kit cost less than a can of LME at the hbs.

The only thing to watch is the bitterness levels - have a look at the faq'a how to calculate bitterness. Also - bumping up the volume to 25L is another tip with toucanning as is using a kit with low bitterness (i.e. Aussie Pale ale) as the second can.

Good luck mate

well, not that i know what i am talking about really, just throwing it out there;

bin inn sell malt extract for like $6nzd per kilo, i think

fyi, pack'n'save sell coopers original cans for $10.81, and internationals for $14.00

(in hamilton, anyways...)

Thanks for the info IanM.

I was aware that Bin Inn sells brewing supplies, but I haven't had a chance to get into one of their shops yet. I'll try to check one out soon.

Pak'n Save here in Christchurch only seem to stock the Coopers Originals and they are about $12 which I thought was a pretty good price. Just a pity they don't stock the plain malt cans.

Thanks

Andrew

Archived